FOLDER-REPORT: Legend for (+,/,etc) character in Name column in Side-by-Side layout

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewBS42
    New User
    • Nov 2016

FOLDER-REPORT: Legend for (+,/,etc) character in Name column in Side-by-Side layout

Team,

I'm running Beyond Compare 3.
    I have a script that performs a FOLDER-REPORT with a side-by-side layout, writing to a file.
    The layout includes the file name column (Name) on each side.
    The character in front of each name might be a plus (+), might be a slash (/), or might be something else.
    I've searched the help files several times, and not found any legend to identify which characters might appear, nor what they mean.

If anyone knows, please pass on that information.

Thanks in advance.

Below is part of a BC Folder-Report. Each side is under a different base. Each base includes a sub-folder named "Shipments". Each Shipments sub-folder includes many files, which are compared by BC. I expect each pair to be different, so the <> on each line is not a surprise.

But BC decided to put a + in front of many names, but a / in front of the files on the bottom line.
    What's the difference between + and /? Are there other characters that might appear there? What do they mean?
    --------------------
    Name Size Name Size
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shipments 63,842,551 Shipments 63,843,269
    +BlankLineInMiddle.txt 2,936,117 <> +BlankLineInMiddle.txt 2,936,119
    +ColumnCaseDifferent.txt 2,936,117 <> +ColumnCaseDifferent.txt 2,936,117
    +ColumnValueDifferent.txt 2,936,117 <> +ColumnValueDifferent.txt 2,936,119
    \TwoMissingLines.txt 2,936,117 <> \TwoMissingLines.txt 2,936,011

----------------
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The text symbols are attempting to emulate the graphical marks used in the main interface, to draw the lines of folder and subfolder structure.

+ means the item is within the above folder
    | is the vertical line, used if there isn't an item directly next to it that would use a + instead, or as a header to a sub-subitem (with a following symbol).
    \ is the end of the subfolder items, next item returns to a previous tree level
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• AndrewBS42
      New User
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

The text symbols are attempting to emulate the graphical marks used in the main interface, to draw the lines of folder and subfolder structure.

+ means the item is within the above folder
      | is the vertical line, used if there isn't an item directly next to it that would use a + instead, or as a header to a sub-subitem (with a following symbol).
      \ is the end of the subfolder items, next item returns to a previous tree level

Thanks, Aaron.
      Now, that seems obvious.
      Maybe if I'd seen subfolders more than 1 deep, I would have figured it out.
      Thanks again
      --
      Andrew

Comment

Working...