X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • florian
    Journeyman
    • Jun 2009

Run script with BC 'default' settings?

I have a script that presents a report of all differing configuration files of two directories.

Code:
    criteria binary
    load "%4" "%5"
    filter "*.ini;"
    select all.diff.files
    file-report layout:%1 options:%2 title:"%3" output-to:"%6" output-options:html-color
    This script is being used by multiple users who have their own BeyondCompare installations and settings.

It happened that one user had conversion rules configured (or other rules) which prevented the report from showing meaningful results because the encoding was not correctly detected.

My question is: how can I instruct BeyondCompare in my script to ignore all user settings and use BeyondCompare's default configuration (which works fine) for processing my script?

Thanks,
    Florian
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We have a "load <default>" command you can insert at the front, but this is only the default Session Settings, not the File Formats or other global settings might have been updated.

I would recommend creating a separate Portable Install on their/your system for script calls. This Portable can have very specific settings set, and would then use them for scripting. You can create a Portable Install with the setup.exe, and register it by running it graphically and inputting your key. Any Windows User that runs this Portable Install will share settings (script or graphical).
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• florian
      Journeyman
      • Jun 2009

Thanks for your answer.

In my case the script is called from a tool which offers said functionality in case BC is already installed.
      Sadly for me it's no option to distribute BC along with my tool because we have individual BC licenses and no company license.

Could you please add this feature (a script command that causes BC to use all its default settings) to the wishlist?
      Otherwise there is no way to exchange scripts and be sure they run as intended on other BC installations.

Thanks,
      Florian

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Portable Install will use a user's %appdata% registration if present, you do not need to distribute a Key with the install.

You could also scan/check for BC4Key.txt in the install directory or in %AppData%\Scooter Software\Beyond Compare 4\ to determine if the user is registered before executing your script. We won't be able to add the type of support you are looking for short-term, so we'd need to work on methods to get a 'clean' portable install on machines that need it while not installing to users that do not already have Beyond Compare.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...