X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcdewul
    Old Hand
    • Sep 2010

How to compare to long URLs?

Up front, this is something I never used before and after giving it a try just now, I am not sure how exactly to proceed.

I have two very long URLs and want to compare them.

What I -did- try but may be wrong: launched Beyond Compare, at the homepage, double click text compare, then in the left box, under 'Everything Else' I pasted first URL and in the right box the second URL.

The text does not wrap, so it is difficult to see what the differences are (Diffs button in toolbar selected)

Possible this is the wrong method?

Thanks

later: selecting: "View->Webpages" indeed shows the full URL as wrapped text, but then again (like I want) but it does not mark the differences.
    =
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bcdewul; 08-Nov-2016, 11:21 PM.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

BC4 does not support text wrapping the comparison. You can use the Open Clipboard (File menu, or Ctrl+Shift+V) to "paste" the contents into one text pane or the other side, and compare the whole line side by side.

Next Difference (Ctrl+Shift+N) can jump between differences within a single line. If you generate a Session menu -> Text Compare Report, Output To HTML, a web browser could wrap the text, but it won't be aligned for review.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
      Old Hand
      • Sep 2010

Thanks for the feedback.
      Well, I am afraid it is bad luck then.
      Thanks anyway.
      =

Comment

• bcdewul
        Old Hand
        • Sep 2010

Oh, btw, will it be considered to wrap texts?
        I may imagine long paragraphs requiring a lot of scrolling to see the differences.
        Wrap texts based on windows sizes/panel sizes.

It will show the differences far more quicker than all the scrolling.

I guess it is a fair idea?

=

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Yes, wrapping text for the comparison is something on our wishlist, but is a very large project and we probably can't tackle it soon.
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• bcdewul
            Old Hand
            • Sep 2010

Thank you. I am sure it will be available one day. Less precise but just to give a bit of an impression is Winmerge.
            Note that Beyond Compare correctly marking the differences between characters, leaving 'same text' unmarked,
            Winmerge is also marking same text, immediately after the 'marked differences'. Attached screenshot as an example.
            That said, I had no idea that text wrapping would be that difficult.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

BTW I noticed I could upload from computer? (now used imgur)
            =

Comment

• Aaron
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Hello,

When I click Insert Image, the From Computer tab is not visible; we disabled it in our forum settings to help reduce forum spam. I'm using the Insert Image button in the Quick Reply dialog, but perhaps you've found another path that lead to it being visible.

In-line character alignment might differ between the two programs. In BC4, in the View menu -> Alignment Details you can review how we align character by character to determine differences.
              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...