Filter question: Show in Folder Compare only files with a certain pattern?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pxstein
    Fanatic
    • Mar 2009

Filter question: Show in Folder Compare only files with a certain pattern?

Assume I compare in Folder Compare two (big) dir trees

However only files which match the pattern *.pdf should be displayed.

Now I enter ".pdf" (without quotes) into the filter entry field in Folder Compare, select "All" and hit RETURN.

Then lots of folders were display which contain NO pdf files.
    Why?
    How do I suppress all those folder listing which conatin no *.pdf?

Furthermore no *.pdf files (same or different) were shown. Why?

Peter
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The filter syntax you need is "*.pdf" with no quotes. The filter supports DOS Masking syntax, so it can support both "literalfilename.pdf" or "*.pdf"

If you navigate to the Folder Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Name Filters tab, this is where all filters are saved as part of the session (from the toolbar or from here, populate both fields). Click the '?' Help button next to the 'X' Close button of this dialog's tab, and this will take you to a context sensitive Help article with syntax examples for filtering. This includes limiting to specific folders (.\path\) or all subfolders (\.\...\)

If you have any other questions, please let us know.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pxstein
      Fanatic
      • Mar 2009

Hello Aaron,

thank you for the filter. It works. However this is only a partial solution of my initial question.

Currently (with *.pdf being set as file pattern) lots of folders are displayed in FolderCompare which do NOT contain a *.pdf file below it (=in the corresponding folder or a (sub)subfolder).

So again in other words: How do I tell BC "Hey BC show only (matching) files in FolderCompare and the folders (all up to the rootnode/drive) in the directory hierarchy above.
      If a folder does not contain a matching file in its dir tree below then hide it in the FolderCompare view"

Peter

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Ah, yes, use the toolbar Folder view dropdown (or View menu) -> Only Compare Files. This will remove all "empty" folders from view; folders that contain no files, or all files are excluded.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pxstein
          Fanatic
          • Mar 2009

Thank you.It works

Comment

Working...