• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matrix
    Journeyman
    • Apr 2016

Sync a folder but keeping old version of files

Hi,

I has been using Beyond Compare from some years now. We love how we can easily sync and look folder and files differences with colors, etc.

But we are using other product (free) as a temp measure because we need to keep old versions. BC allow us to update the file with the new version and rename the old one in something like file001.docx.back but we need to keep more versions.

Can please someone let us know if this feature is already implemented? We want to use BC again!
  • LB97
    Journeyman
    • Jan 2015

It sounds like you need to look into using an actual version control system (e.g., git or SVN). BC is a great tool for comparing files/folders, etc., but it can't replace (and is not intended to replace) a tool which stores the history of those files and folders.

Comment

• matrix
      Journeyman
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by LB97
      It sounds like you need to look into using an actual version control system (e.g., git or SVN). BC is a great tool for comparing files/folders, etc., but it can't replace (and is not intended to replace) a tool which stores the history of those files and folders.
      Not really. I just need BC to keep the old copy when a file is replaced. This is highly used in basic sync/backup software. I use Beyond Compare for full Sync (mirror) but I need to use free software like Dsynchronize to backup a master directory to destination directory without losing the old versions.

I don't really understand why this is not implemented since several versions now.

Example

Master (Source)

file001.txt
      file002.txt
      file003.txt

Destination:

file001.txt
      file002.txt
      file003.txt

If file001 changes, I want file001 in destination to be renamed in something like file001_timestamp.txt.old, or something similar. BC allows you to do this but only one time (you can keep only one version). I see free sync software allowing you to do it until 5 times (some other software allows you unlimited versioning) but I'm waiting BC to update the code to allow us that. Very important!

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Our backup options only offer a single level. It's on our wishlist to enhance this behavior, but it is not a project we'll be able to tackle soon.

In the current release, you would need to perform this step manually by setting the Display Filter to only the Older files on Destination Side, then Expand All, Select All Files, Shift+Arrow keys. This would leave you with a selection of only the files about to be replaced. You can then use our Rename Command on multiple files to add a post-fix.

Since we cannot Undo a rename, please test a multi-file rename on a test directory first while you learn the syntax.

After the rename, the Orphan files on the Source side (previous and newly orphaned files from the rename) can be copied over.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• matrix
          Journeyman
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
          Hello,

Our backup options only offer a single level. It's on our wishlist to enhance this behavior, but it is not a project we'll be able to tackle soon.

In the current release, you would need to perform this step manually by setting the Display Filter to only the Older files on Destination Side, then Expand All, Select All Files, Shift+Arrow keys. This would leave you with a selection of only the files about to be replaced. You can then use our Rename Command on multiple files to add a post-fix.

Since we cannot Undo a rename, please test a multi-file rename on a test directory first while you learn the syntax.

After the rename, the Orphan files on the Source side (previous and newly orphaned files from the rename) can be copied over.
          Hi. I would like to know if this feature has been finally implemented in current versions of BC. Can I update destination and keep old versions?

Comment

• RodolfoGiovanninetti
            Veteran
            • Oct 2007

Just a quick and dirty idea, I do not know if B.C. allows this.
            You might try a script, if it is possible.
            Compare two folders.
            Select only files on the left side where for example the right side is newer than the left side.
            Copy or move these files to another folder.
            Then copy from right to left.
            Since for B.C. both sides are not the same, for example in the replacement, You may have to swap left/right.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Comment

• Chris
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Matrix,

Beyond Compare 4.2.3 (current) still only supports a single level of backup in the Backups section of the Tools > Options dialog. Multi-level of backup is still on our feature request list, but it doesn't have a scheduled release date.
              Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• matrix
                Journeyman
                • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Chris
                Matrix,

Beyond Compare 4.2.3 (current) still only supports a single level of backup in the Backups section of the Tools > Options dialog. Multi-level of backup is still on our feature request list, but it doesn't have a scheduled release date.
                Hi. Any idea if BC new version now allow more backup levels so we can keep the old files in several versions?

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Sorry, BC 4.2.6 (current) still only supports a single level of backup.
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...