X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chwancio
    Visitor
    • Oct 2016

How to - 3-way

I have the current version (4.1.9 Pro Windows). I've never used the 3-way compare before, but I need to now. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I can't get that third pane to show up. I tried looking at Help, and some of the posts in this forum. Can you let me know to get started or point me to "getting started" link? My menu doesn't seem to have some of the options I see described in the forum.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

3-Way Text Merge (and Folder Merge) are Pro specific features. If you are registered for Std, you would need to upgrade to Pro.

First, you can trial Pro to make sure it meets your needs before any purchase is necessary:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...?zz=kb_evalpro

If it works well, you can process an upgrade here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop....p_upgrade_cart
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chwancio
      Visitor
      • Oct 2016

I believe I have the Pro version. When I look at /Help /About, below the serial number, it has "Pro Edition for Windows".

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are you able to launch into the 3-way Text Merge session from the Home screen? If so, you do have Pro. There are 3 file paths at the top, and as soon as you open a file in the center path, the center pane will appear. Drag and drop or the command line would also work.

Does this get it up and running?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chwancio
          Visitor
          • Oct 2016

This is from my license key:
          License type: BC4 Pro Edition for Windows

On the Home screen, I do not see the option for 3-way. I see five icons: Folder Compare, Folder Merge, Folder Sync, Text Compare, and Text Merge. I do not see anything for 3-way.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello

Both "Merge" types are 3 way. The Text Merge will populate with 4 blank file paths and 3 blank panes. 2 Input panes and 1 output pane, but putting in all 4 file paths reveals the center (3rd) input pane that is the Common Ancestor.

Do you see all 4 file paths in the Text Merge? 3 on top and one in the middle (above the bottom output pane)?

Also, how do you intend to use the Text Merge? In most cases, we plug into other Version Control software using their Preferences. When called this way, BC4 auto-launches with the parameters passed to us and shows all 3 input panes.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• chwancio
              Visitor
              • Oct 2016

I see it now. I never wanted to "merge" anything, I just wanted to "compare", so I never went into the Merge icon.

Thanks.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

If that helps, the Merge is 3-way and designed to merge into a 4th output location. The center pane should be a common ancestor of the other two panes for the merge logic to work.

The Compare session types are 2-way, and are equally weighted Left and Right. We do not have a 3-way (or more-way) Compare session.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mtaber
                  New User
                  • Oct 2016

Are there any plans to extend the Compare into a 3-way? I just upgraded because I thought it would allow me to see differences between 3 text configuration files which are required to be different because they're for development, staging and production. It looks as though this upgrade didn't actually solve my problem because I still can't compare the three files.

The best I can do is merge them, which isn't what I need. Some of the values are in fact, different out of necessity. What I needed was to see them side by side and view the differences to identify missing or extra sections of those files that needed to be migrated from one environment to another or removed from the files.

While I can do a 3-way merge and view the differences, I can't make the edits in-line to the target file I want in the windows because it says "Editing disabled". Is there at least a way to enable editing in those windows?

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

A 3-way compare is something on our wishlist, but is an entirely different session type and not a small feature. The Text merge only allows editing in the Output; the input panes are always protected. The Text Merge is primarily designed to function as a mergetool, which can be configured and called from various Source Control software like Git, SVN, or TFS. This means the Center pane is weighted differently, and is always an Ancestor.
                    http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?zz=kb_vcs

BC4's trial is fully featured and available for any testing, with only a days-of-use time limit during the trial period. On Windows, it can even be installed without removing or altering BC3, which allows users to test out BC4 while still using BC3 for day to day work (which, if uninstalled, can be reinstalled here: http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=dl3_en). Besides Text Merge functionality with your VCS, I would recommend reviewing if any of the other features would be useful, such as 64bit support, High DPI support, enhanced archive and profile support, and more: http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl...?zz=v4whatsnew
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Mellevsen
                      New User
                      • Mar 2015

If your 3-way merge still looks like a 2-way merge, you also need to turn on the Center window via the menu: View > Center Pane

I'm leaving this comment to help anyone else who landed here whilst trying to fix this problem, since my solution doesn't seem to exist anywhere else :-)

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

To add: the Center Path is visible by default, but the Center pane (the content of the path) is not shown until a file is loaded (or drag and dropped) into the center path, at which point it the Center Pane will become visible.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...