Detect and mark only inline changes possible?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pxstein
    Fanatic
    • Mar 2009

Detect and mark only inline changes possible?

Occasionally I (or programs) change only certain words or sub-strings of lines of text files.

Example: In line 154 of file hello123.txt the line

aaa bbb ccc ddd

is changed to

aaa bbb fff ddd

When I perform now a text compare between the new and the old version of the text file then the whole line is marked with red background. Just as if the old line is completely removed and a new line was completely added.

Is there no change detection on a finer (word or better: sub-string) granularity?

What I need is a text compare where the two lines appear side-by-side and only

"ccc" is marked with red font (indicating a deletion) and only "fff" is marked in green as changed-to indicator.

Is this somehow possible?

Or can this be implemented in the next release?

Thank you
    Peter
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The background of the entire line is marked as red to indicate a difference appears somewhere on that line; since the difference can potentially be off screen horizontally. The text of the difference itself will have foreground red text, so only "ccc" and "fff" should be red text, if the alignment is working as expected.

You can customize the foreground, background, or background behind only the different text in the Tools menu -> Options, Color/Fonts, File Views tab: Important Difference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pxstein
      Fanatic
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Aaron
      The background of the entire line is marked as red to indicate a difference appears somewhere on that line; since the difference can potentially be off screen horizontally. The text of the difference itself will have foreground red text, so only "ccc" and "fff" should be red text, if the alignment is working as expected.
      This is NOT true!

Have a look at the attached snapshot:

Why are the two lines on different levels?
      According to your statement they should be on the same level and the "newtext" string should be in bold red font.

This is not the case.

So my initial questions are still unanswered
      Attached Files

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry, given the original wording I thought the issue was different. This screenshot looks like an alignment issue. If you go to the Text Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Alignment tab, is Never Align Differences enabled? If so, please disable it.

Our factory defaults would have this option disabled, but it is possible to override with new defaults or save a session with specific customization.

If you are still having trouble, please email us at [email protected] with:
        - Your BCSupport.zip (Help menu -> Support dialog; Export)
        - a pair of sample files and screenshot showing the issue with them
        - a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pxstein
          Fanatic
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Aaron
          Sorry, given the original wording I thought the issue was different. This screenshot looks like an alignment issue. If you go to the Text Compare's Session menu -> Session Settings, Alignment tab, is Never Align Differences enabled? If so, please disable it.
          Perfect!
          Its working now :-)

Thank you
          Peter

Comment

Working...