Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Default BC4 finds files windows explorer doesn't

I posted this in the BC3 thread. sorry so this is a repeat of that thread....

Hi
    I have a directory on my c: drive that I keep backed up on an external drive. When I look at the directory on the c: drive in windows I see 10 items/files. When I look at the same folder in BC4 I see 14 files. All files are .doc .pdf .docx .pptx no system or hidden files. I've gone through the windows folder view and as best as I can tell I have all the options turned on for windows to show all the files in the directory.

I'm on windows 7. BC4 Version 4.1.8 (build 21575)

Any suggestions on what has happened to the files. They are not "hidden".

John

Hello,

By default, BC4 only hides Protected Operating System files. Windows could be configured to hide Hidden, Protected, or other combinations of files.

We show the detected attributes next to the file name in parenthesis. Do you see anything next to TestFile.doc (h) or (s)? Do they have any extra characters in their names, such as a '~'?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi
    Thanks for responding so quickly.

I checked for special characters, especially against those file that don't display in windows explorer and I didn't find any. I added the attributes column and all the was displayed was "a".

Kind of normal I think.

I clicked rename and here is one of the filenames that don't display in windows explorer. ISF 2016 Standard Extent of Change - Excel Format

thanks again
    john

Hello,

BC4 is capable of displaying files not visible in Explorer. It sounds like Windows Explorer has been configured to hide some items.

Not what you are hitting, but by default, Explorer will hide Hidden (H) and Protected Operating System (SH), while BC4 shows Hidden items; so even by default we'll show more items than Explorer.

But it's possible Explorer has been configured in some way to hide others. Archive (a) is a normally set, but not commonly used attribute and probably wouldn't explain the difference, but you can use BC4's Attributes command to disable it to see if that helps expose it in Explorer.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hello, just for a comparison, if You go to command prompt and in that directory You use the command "dir /A", do You see anything "strange"? For example, some files that are links, or anything else.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

that's a great idea. surprised I didn't think of it.

so from the cmd prompt the dir listing only shows the files that windows explorer sees. is does not include those (about 4) additional files that BC4 sees.

other ideas?

Hello,

You should review your Windows Folder Options to see if any are configured to hide these items. If you alter the (a) attribute using BC4, does this change the visibility in Explorer/CMD Prompt?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hi
    I reviewed windows folder options and made sure they applied to all folders. I turned on a couple options to show hidden files and systems files. Didn't change anything in windows explorer or CMD. I changed the "a" using BC4. didn't change CMD or Explorer. I can open, email he file from BC4/explorer. I used BC4 to change to owner from administrator to my account. No change....

I am just curious, but can You show here a screen shot?
    Maybe somebody else will notice something strange...
    Also, what happens if You copy these additional files toward Your external disk?
    Does B.C. copy them?
    Or it throws an error message?

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

Here are a couple jpg with two file option screenshots.

The only missing bit is the search option setting.

Windows 10.
    Attached Images Attached Images