X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jspencer
    Visitor
    • Apr 2016

Grammar for cells in table compare?

I'm comparing two csv's with BC4's built-in csv formats. I have mostly numeric data, and I definitely want the table view, but my first column has values like "user1_name_processed_2016-9-22_upside_down". I'd like to match cells in different files for this column if the "user1_name" portion is the same, but ignore the date and everything thereafter (or better, just the date). I don't see a way to define a grammar for cells in a table compare. Any other ideas that would keep me in the table view?

I've loved BC for 10+ years, btw. Keep going, you guys!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Table Compare does not support sub-dividing a cell for content. If a Column is marked as a key, then the entire cell data in that column is considered the Key. The methods to help remove the date would involve:

- Altering the original file, to restructure the data so it is a separate column (which, could optionally be Included *with* the key if ever needed, as multiple items together can be a key)
    - temporarily reformatting the file using an External Conversion to create a temporary copy .csv, and parse and remove the date information, or temporarily creating an entirely new column that is just the user1_name data

At the end of either process, the data being presented in BC4's Table Compare would need a column containing only the actual Key data you want to use.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• jspencer
      Visitor
      • Apr 2016

Thanks for that. One follow up question: Does that apply even when the cell is NOT a key? In other words, there's no partial matching/regex support for cells of any kind?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The only factor for alignment in the Table Compare is the Key. If no Key is set, then the entire row must match to align. No partial matching is allowed.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...