• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • renatocoral
    Visitor
    • Sep 2013

BC4 not working on MacOS Sierra

Hi,
    I'm trying to use BC4 after upgrading to macOS Sierra but it won't start.

I clique de App, it starts to bounce but after a few seconds it disappears.

Any ideas??

Thanks
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

A few customers have reported the Mac OS X version of Beyond Compare fails to start if the default printer is invalid or offline. Changing your default printer might resolve the issue.

We haven't been able to reproduce the printer issue internally yet, so please let us know if it fixes or doesn't fix the startup problem.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• ScottG
      Visitor
      • Jun 2013

I had the same issue. Changing the default printer did not help. I replaced the installed version with the latest version and it launches normally now.

I hadn't used the software for quite a while so not sure if the problem was related to the Sierra upgrade or not.

Scott

Comment

• renatocoral
        Visitor
        • Sep 2013

Hi, setting up another printer or turning on the default one did not help.

But, as ScottG said. After downloading a new version and replacing the old one, it worked.

I'm not sure how old was the version I was using. I used it last time about a month ago.

Thanks anyway.
        Renato.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

For anyone else having trouble launching the application under MacOS Sierra, please update to the latest release, found here:
          http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

Update: We have an evolving KB article covering MacOS Sierra issues here:
          http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...b_macos_sierra
          Last edited by Aaron; 27-Sep-2016, 12:01 PM. Reason: Update
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• SchmidtJohn
            New User
            • Oct 2016

Resolved!

Originally posted by Aaron
            For anyone else having trouble launching the application under MacOS Sierra, please update to the latest release, found here:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

Update: We have an evolving KB article covering MacOS Sierra issues here:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...b_macos_sierra
            Resolved: This version has resolved the issue for me. Thanks!

Comment

• stb
              New User
              • Feb 2018

I've got the same problem now after trying to update BC with the internal update link.

I downloaded 4.2.4, build 22795 then from http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php and tried to run it, but unfortunately the BC icon just jumps in the "Dock" but does not start. Yes, I clicked on "Open" when I was asked if I wanted to open it, even when it was downloaded from the internet.

I run macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 and also the former BC version (which was running before) does not work anymore.

I appreciate any support or hints!

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Does it help if you delete Beyond Compare.app from your Applications folder, then download and install a fresh copy of 4.2.4 from our website? It's possible the install folder is corrupt.

If a delete and fresh install doesn't resolve the issue, it might also be helpful to reboot your Mac.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• stb
                  New User
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Chris
                  Does it help if you delete Beyond Compare.app from your Applications folder, then download and install a fresh copy of 4.2.4 from our website? It's possible the install folder is corrupt.

If a delete and fresh install doesn't resolve the issue, it might also be helpful to reboot your Mac.
                  Thank you Chris for your answer.

Yes, I deleted the BeyondCompare app in the applications. And installed a fresh copy, which I downloded, but it wouldn‘t start. Not even after several reboots.
                  1. rebootet after removing from Applications
                  2. reboot after fresh installation

Even rebooting after reinstalling the former Beyond Compare version, didn‘t work.

And now comes the weird thing: I put the Mac into sleep for the night and when I tried again after about 14 hours. Beyond Compare opened correctly and worked fine without changing anithing.
                  Hope it will continue doing so. I don‘t have a clue what prevented BC from opening.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

That's very odd... how often do you leave your Mac up and running? A reboot should definitely work for this, but maybe a full shutdown and let it sit for several minutes before booting back up again would have different results.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...