Thread: Reading NTFS

Default Reading NTFS

I have a dual boot Windows 10 x64 and a Mint 18 Cinnamon machine. I have installed BC 4.1.8, build 21575 in Mint. I am new to Mint and am in the processing of moving off windows. When I attempt to synch a series of files / folders located on my "C" drive (NTFS) to a USB drive I cannot get the Browse to acknowledge either the NTFS files or the USB. All I have are the files in my Linux root. What am I doing wrong? I can see the drives and folders from the file manager I just can't them in BC. Thanks.

If you can see the files in the File Explorer, can you drag and drop a folder onto BC4's main interface? This should load the directory and will populate the folder path.

And, you are running BC4.1.8 on Mint, but accessing the C:\ of a Windows machine? Are you connecting over the network and transferring to a USB device connected to the Mint or Windows machine? If you are working with Windows and a USB drive connected to Windows, it might be far easier and faster to install BC4 on the Windows machine, and transfer your files from there. This would remove the network as a transfer bottleneck, and your BC4 license is multi-platform, so you can run it on either your Mint or Windows machine.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I have a dual boot environment. Windows / Mint 18. I am not transferring over a network - standalone machine. I have BC4 installed on Windows and Mint. I can open BC in Mint - I just can't point it to my "C" drive or to a USB drive or even a NTFS drive where I have Mint installed. I can see all my drives using the file manager -Nemo I believe it is called - so I know it is accessible from Mint. I just can't get it to work when I invoke BC from the application list. BC on Windows cannot read the ext Linux formats.

Are the NTFS and USB file systems mounted?

Can you get BC to access the NTFS or USB folders by explicitly putting the paths in the BC address bar, or by using the context menu functons (right-click >> Select Left File to Compare, etc.)?

In addition to Dave_L's comments: can you load the location you want loaded in the native File Explorer of Mint? What path is displayed here once it is loaded. This will help us know how it is accessed and how to access it in BC4.

You can also drag-drop from the Mint File Explorer onto an empty BC4 window to load that location and see the BC4 path. Does this work for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Another thing to try is accessing the NTFS and USB files by navigating within BC to their mount points, which are typically in the /mount or /media directories.