• Show
Clear All
  • sumangalam
    Expert
    • May 2008

Folder Compare - Memory Observation

Hello,

I have been observing a behaviour of BC - will explain with details:

1. I load a workspace (WS A) with three Folder Comparison Sessions - Memory used 866 MB
    2. I load another workspace (WS B) with other three Folder Comparison Sessions - Memory used 1230 MB

I close Beyond Compare and restart Beyond Compare

1. I load workspace (WS B) with three Folder Comparison Sessions - Memory used 658 MB.

In the first instance also, I would have expected Memory Used 658 MB - so it seems that if we open workspaces within BC - though it closes currently open Sessions - memory is not released. Whereas closing and reopening BC forces memory to be released.

Will appreciate if you please look into the matter.

Regards

Sanjiv Bansal
  • sumangalam
    Expert
    • May 2008

Hello,

I did some further testing on the observation:

1. Opened Folder Comparison session A - Memory used 398 MB.
    2. Switch to Folder Comparison Session B (Via ToolBar -> BriefCase icon) - Memory used 818 MB.

Closed Beyond Compare and reopened Beyond Compare.

1. Opened Folder Comparison Session B - Memory used 621 MB.

Regards

Sanjiv Bansal

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Hello,

As each tab builds the file structure, this is loaded into memory so every other tab and window (which, by default, share the same BCompare.exe process) receives updates from any other tab of any loaded items, even if they are loading different levels. This isn't cleared entirely on tab close, since other tabs are open that potentially interact with the pre-built items. This leaves the scenario where all relevant tabs are closed but BCompare.exe is still running, which is something that would be nice to clean up but isn't trivial since we would not want to accidentally (bug) clean up something that is still open somewhere else. If specific sections aren't referenced/used, even though they take up memory these will often be pushed to the Page file so they aren't actively taking too many resources. As you've found, if you fully shut down bcompare.exe then that performs a full clean up.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• sumangalam
        Expert
        • May 2008

Hello,

Thanks for your guidance. As I try to understand your guidance : ".....every other tab and window (which, by default, share the same BCompare.exe process) receives updates from any other tab of any loaded items, even if they are loading different levels. This isn't cleared entirely on tab close, since other tabs are open that potentially interact with the pre-built items." I do appreciate the reason for temporary Memory overuse. However, I would have loved to have the application do a process when a Tab or Window is closed - It should finally convey it messages to linked Tabs and Windows and clear its memory.

However, you say: " This leaves the scenario where all relevant tabs are closed but BCompare.exe is still running, which is something that would be nice to clean up but isn't trivial since we would not want to accidentally (bug) clean up something that is still open somewhere else." I wish you find some way to efficiently clear memory when appropriate. Let me tell you the situation which made me observe this memory thing. I had migrated to SSD recently and SSD Application guided that I should not be using much of Page File. and then I started getting low memory warnings. and I noticed that BC was taking too much of memory.

And SSD usage is going to go up in future. So, I hope you review this scenario and situation; and do as you feel appropriate.

Regards

Sanjiv Bansal
        Last edited by sumangalam; 02-Sep-2016, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Working...