X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calyri
    Visitor
    • Aug 2016

git difftool -d compares hang in Ubuntu 16.04

I have used version 4 on Ubuntu 14.04 for the last few months with no issues. When I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, whenever I do a git difftool -d, and try to open one of the file differences, it either never opens on double click, or at best takes a frustrating amount of time (30 or seconds) to open / close the files.

I have tried doing some regular directory compares, and they seem to be ok.

I have tried uninstall / re-install, the tarball install instead of deb package, restoring to factory defaults, all to no avail.
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Version 4.1.6 introduced a performance regression on Linux. We'll have a fix in version 4.1.7, but until then you can go back to version 4.1.5 if you're experiencing performance problems. If you need the 4.1.5 installer, email [email protected] and we'll provide you a link.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• calyri
      Visitor
      • Aug 2016

Chris,
      Thank you for the response! I will try to install 4.1.5 and see if that fixes the problem.

Casey

Comment

• calyri
        Visitor
        • Aug 2016

Chris,
        I've installed 4.1.5 and it works great. I will watch out for the 4.1.7 release. I appreciate your help!

Casey

Comment

• calyri
          Visitor
          • Aug 2016

It looks like I spoke to soon. The 4.1.5 seemed to work at first. But I'm again having the same problem where it just hangs / is super slow when I have a difftool based diff.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you provide more information on the slowdown? Is it during a load? Is the cancel button still red or blinking, or grey? Or is it during a scroll or arrow keys?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• calyri
              Visitor
              • Aug 2016

When I do a git difftool -d between two commits, it opens up the diff listing ok. But, when I click on a file in the list to see the diff for the file, it takes a long time to load (I don't know of a cancel button in that screen). Sometimes the whole application greys out as unresponsive. Usually I give up and have to kill bcompare.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

The File comparison will show a cancel button in the bottom left. If you let it sit for a long test period of time (several minutes or more) does the application eventually recover?

We also just released BC 4.1.7 with all the various 4.1.6 fixes + the regression fix. Please update and let us know the results with the newest version.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• calyri
                  Visitor
                  • Aug 2016

Aaron,
                  The problem was actually before the file comparison window would open. When I clicked on the file to compare in the listing view, it would hang there.

I downloaded 4.1.7, and so far it seems to be working again. I will post here again if I encounter any further problems.

Casey

Comment

Working...