X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shamblepop
    Visitor
    • Aug 2016

Number format for numeric columns in table compare

Does anyone know if it's possible to specify a display format for numeric columns in table compare? I'm frequently comparing CSVs that contain large values like "123456789.12345" and it would be really helpful to get that displayed as "123,456,789.1". Otherwise I find myself having to count digits by hand to determine whether "23597564.543" is close to "2346765.3478" or an order of magnitude different, whereas "23,597,564" vs "2,346,765" would be obvious at a glance.

Thanks in advance!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Table Compare is designed to find and remove the Thousands separator characters for Numeric columns. The reversion to a specific number is both back-end and front-end and allows features like Numeric tolerance.

If you switch the column type to Text, we would show the "," but wouldn't be able to set a numeric tolerance.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• shamblepop
      Visitor
      • Aug 2016

Hmm, thanks for the reply, but that's not quite what I mean.

Switching the column to Text type won't show the "," because it doesn't exist in the underlying files I'm comparing. And, as you say, it would stop me setting a numeric tolerance.

I guess what I'm looking for is a display-only feature that allows the user to set the number format for displaying numeric columns in the BC UI, independent of what format the original data was in. Sounds like this is a feature that doesn't exist yet, though. Perhaps you could consider adding it in a future version?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Certainly. I added your earlier notes to our Customer Wishlist, and appreciate the additional details (that your text may not include the characters initially). My workaround only works if the character were present, and our current functionality only helps at removing them for numeric tolerance. We'll look into enhanced display options.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• shamblepop
          Visitor
          • Aug 2016

That's great, many thanks!

Comment

Working...