X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jspencer
    Visitor
    • Apr 2016

quick compare binary equal hangs git difftool

Hi! Love the tool, used on PC, Linux, and now moving to mac. I have bc4.1.6 eval and git 2.9.2 on Mac OS X 10.11.5. When I run "git difftool origin/master," the first file difference shows up like normal. I close bc, waiting for the next diff. That file happens to open a quick compare window that says the file are binary same. I click close there (or command-W), and the shell running git difftool is just hung. I have to ctrl-Z, kill /usr/local/bin/bcomp and/or git difftool processes. But beyond compare is not listed in the force quit window.

If I choose "Open view" on the quick compare window, then close the beyond compare window, diffs keep coming like you'd expect. I would just like to avoid opening the "no diff" view and just skip to the next file, but this seems to leave bcomp not quite closed, but not quite open.

Any ideas? .git config has:

[diff]
    tool = bcomp
    [difftool]
    prompt = false
    [difftool "bcomp"]
    trustExitCode = true
    cmd = "/usr/local/bin/bcomp" \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"
    [merge]
    tool = bcomp
    [mergetool]
    prompt = false
    [mergetool "bcomp"]
    trustExitCode = true
    cmd = "/usr/local/bin/bcomp" \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\" \"$BASE\" \"$MERGED\"
    Last edited by jspencer; 08-Aug-2016, 11:41 PM.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you alter your config to use "bc3" as the keyword, does this help with your software combination?

Newer versions of Git (even on OSX) use "bc3" as the keyword, even for BC4. Please see this KB article for Git instructions (separated into two sections for Newer Git versions and Older Git versions):
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...kb_vcs_osx#git

You then only define "bc3" and do not manually define the paths. Also, it is recommended to fully restart Git (or reboot the machine) to be certain that .gitconfig changes are applied, and older cached settings are not used. To test, it may be useful to fully remove the bcomp definition from .gitconfig entirely, retest (which should fail since it is now missing), then re-add.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...