• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiwimuso
    New User
    • Aug 2016

Always include hidden files

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to always show hidden files in the folder compare view. It seems to me to be a bit hit and miss whether they show up. They seem to appear when there are other normal files in the folder; but don't show up if the folder contains only hidden files.

Also, I can copy files from side to side in the folder view, and select Include Hidden Items; but I can't do that with Update - it won't let me choose hidden files.

Is there a way to force hidden files to always be shown, and for hidden files to be copied/updated when using Update?

Thanks very much
    km
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

This depends on which OS you are running, which version of Beyond Compare (BC3?), and which type of location you are loading (local drive or remote locations).

The quick answer is we have a Suppress Filters command. Assuming the default filters are sometimes removing items, you can Suppress all filters to see if any items then show in a teal color. These are items a Display Filter, File Name Filter, or Other Filter are currently set to hide. If this occurs, we can then go find which filters are currently enabled and disable them.

In BC3, we have one filter you can remove from the factory defaults. On the Home screen, in the Saved sessions list, expand the Edit session defaults folder and select Folder Compare. Go to the Other Filters tab: DOS Attributes, and disable "Exclude protected operating system files".
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• yaco8
      New User
      • Mar 2018

Hidden files .. still hidden with sync from MS OneDrive

Hello
      Using BC4, I experience the same problem as KM below. Some significant number of subfolders and files do not appear in the compare, and to see them I must press Peak View. I tried to select "Include hidden items by default" in the Options, but it is still the same. So .. what is the long answer to this then?
      Thank you

"The quick answer is we have a Suppress Filters command. Assuming the default filters are sometimes removing items, you can Suppress all filters to see if any items then show in a teal color. These are items a Display Filter, File Name Filter, or Other Filter are currently set to hide. If this occurs, we can then go find which filters are currently enabled and disable them."

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The longer answer is to find the currently set filter that is hiding the item. BC4 supports many ways of filtering out items from view. By default, and the most common, is the Exclude Protected Operating System Files filter option I mention above, but you may have enabled any other filter that might also be acting on these files.

If you disable the Exclude Protected Operating System Files option, does that show these files, or are they still hidden?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...