Any plans for a 64 bit native version? What about other unix flavors?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkmccarthy
    Visitor
    • Sep 2006

RPM install problems on ia64 Linux

On Itanium Linux systems with the IA32 Execution Layer (ia32el) 32-bit emulation package installed (see my post from 18-Jul-2009 earlier in this thread), 32-bit applications are installed to an alternate location: instead of /usr/bin and /usr/lib, the RPM installer puts files from *.i386.rpm's into /emul/ia32-linux/usr/bin and /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib for example. Hence when installing either bcompare-3.1.11 or bcompare-3.2.0 under ia64 Linux, I now encounter the following errors:
    cp: cannot stat `/usr/lib/beyondcompare/scootersoftware.repo': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/etc/yum.repos.d/scootersoftware.repo': No such file or directory
    error: /usr/lib/beyondcompare/RPM-GPG-KEY-scootersoftware: import read failed(-1).
    error: %post(bcompare-3.2.0-12469.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
    ... apparently because these newer install scripts are looking in /usr/lib for files that (on ia64 with the ia32el package installed) end up instead in /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib.

With help from Google, I found on www.rpm.org the following hint here
    # A default autorelocation path prefixed to file paths of packages
    # that have an incompatible arch. This is used on ia64 to prefix
    # /emul/ia32 to i386 file paths, and nowhere else (yet).
    #
    # XXX Note: escaped %% for use in headerSprintf()
    %_autorelocate_path %{nil}
    ...which may give the BeyondCompare development team a place to start on how to to make the RPM "scriplet" cognizant of the /emul/ia32-linux file path prefix when necessary (on ia64 Linux installations).

Is this something that can be fixed in future Linux RPM install files ?

-- Jim
    Last edited by jkmccarthy; 01-Aug-2010, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

Thanks, jkmccarthy. I've created a tracker entry for a developer to look into this when they can.
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• BC_User
        Visitor
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Chris
        We've just released Beyond Compare 3 for Linux version 3.1.11, now with packages for 64-bit Linux.

If you're running 64-bit Redhat or another RPM based distro, you can download the RPM package and it will automatically install 32-bit compatibility libraries if they are needed.
        I've just updated an old RH 5.4 64-bit to RH 5.5 and based on your notes returned to trying to get BC3 working. Previously, I gave up because I could not get the shared library issues resolved.

Today, installing 3.1.11, everything seems to go well, except it would still not find the libqt-mt.so.3 library.

When I ran the 3.1.11 install, I had already installed the qt-3.3.6-23.el5.x86_64 package.

Only after I installed package qt-3.3.6-23.el5.i386 did BC run okay.

Should your library dependance be able to resolve that qt-3.3.6-23.el5.i386 still needs to be installed when qt-3.3.6-23.el5.x86_64 already installed.

Thanks.

Comment

• David
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2009

We have included our own 32 bit version of libqt-mt.so.3 in the 3.1.11 (and later) distribution of BC . BC is still a 32 bit app and so will still need 32 bit libraries (qt-3.3.6-23.el5.x86_64 would not work). However, since we include our own 32 bit version you should not need to install qt-3.3.6-23.el5.i386.

I believe your are the same user that was seeing the old version number displayed in spite of installing 3.1.11? In my response to that issue I mentioned that it is possible that the old version is still around and runs instead of the new version. If you still have install libqt-mt.3.so then I am definite that this is the case. You need to find the old version and remove it - it is sitting someplace in your path that is searched before the new version is found. Try /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib/beyondcompare.
          David J Scooter Software

Comment

Working...