• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ads
    New User
    • Jul 2016

Reproduce Binary Folder Compare Report in script

Hello,
    I am attempting to reproduce a report that has always been run manually, but I can't work out if this can be done.

For example, using BC2 (2.4.3) we would normally open a folder comparison session, select the folders - each folder has many subfolders and files.
    We would right click, select Compare Contents... and then Binary Compare.
    Once completed, we save the report that is presented.

Can I reproduce this using the command line? I can't find any options that appear to produce the same layout of report with the same wording etc.

Many thanks for your time.
    Regards,
    Ads.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Yes, you would need to use BC Scripting. A sample script.txt file would be:

criteria timestamp:2sec binary
    load "c:\folder1" "c:\folder2"
    expand all
    folder-report layout:side-by-side options:display-all output-to:"c:\report\bcreport.html" output-options:html-color

run with the command line: bc2.exe "@c:\report\script.txt"

The Help file (F1) -> Command Line and Scripting has more detailed reference material.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Ads
      New User
      • Jul 2016

Thanks Aaron,

I have tried your suggestion, and though I see that it has the same information, the format isn't really the same - even if I try text only etc.

What it is, is that we have a process that automatically parses the Report.txt as saved from the gui, and it uses the same wording etc.

E.g. it will look for..

3042 files match exactly
      ------------------------
      1 folders and files only on left
      --------------------------------
      test\New Text Document.txt

Maybe I can get hold of the code that parses it and tweak it so this can be better automated - I just hoped to avoid that part.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you post a screen shot of your Actions menu -> Folder Compare Report dialog? And also include your current script.txt?

Using scripting and the options available, you should be able to configure a matching report. Given your sample text, you probably need to use a different layout:
        folder-report layout:summary output-to:"c:\reports\bcreport.txt"

All scripting options are documented in the Help file (F1) -> Command Line and Scripting chapter.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...