X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timg11
    Expert
    • Apr 2010

"Open With Associated Application" doesn't work with WebDav server

Opening a file on a remote WebDav server using "Open With Associated Application" doesn't work properly.

If I try to open the file "somefile.docx" on the WebDav server, Windows prompts me with "You'll need a new app to open this profile. Look in the store?". That is incorrect because I have Word 2016 installed. If I open "anotherfile.docx" on the left side of the compare (my local hard disk), it opens normally in Word. So there is something about WebDav that causes the problem.

Running Windows 10 x64, BC 4.1.6 21095
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. We'll look into this. In the meantime, you can create a custom Open With for Winword.exe that can open the file.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• timg11
      Expert
      • Apr 2010

Aaron, I created custom Open With functions for the Office applications (all of which have a problem with WebDav).
      The problem is that when I use them, I get a Windows Security dialog to enter credentials for for the remote WebDav server. Is there a way around that? I would think that BC would use its saved profile credentials to download the file, and then start the application passing it the path to the downloaded file saved in the temporary folder. But for some reason it requires entering the credentials again.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

If you make the same Open With call from the Windows Command Prompt, do you also see the credentials prompt? My hunch is that you would see it there as well, as an extra security layer when accessing the WebDAV from the command line.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• timg11
          Expert
          • Apr 2010

Yes, I think it depends on how BC performs the the "Open With". If it passes the remote server address to the Office app leaving it to Windows to access the remote file, then it would ask for credentials. But if BC downloads the file to the local disk using the profile credentials, and then starts the office app passing the path to the local file, it would not ask. The latter method would be better from a usability perspective.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Open With passes file paths directly to the application, and does not support downloading temporary versions. Enhancing Open With to support that type of workflow is on our wishlist, but we'll likely be able to investigate/fix the WebDav issue earlier on the schedule.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...