Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hello,

We just got off the phone. For users running into this thread, the solution needed was to verify that BCState.xml and BC4Key.txt both existed in the Portable Install's directory (C:\Tools\Beyond Compare 4\). Once both these files were in place, the Portable was configured and the automated task began to run smoothly.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Guys,
    Ok, so the problem is corrected!

I spoke to Aaron and after we went over everything, it turns out that the portable install, while the ultimate solution, was partly the issue. It had installed the BCState.xml (among others) into the AppData\Roaming folder for the specific user that I was logged in at the time of the install. So it was tied to that user. Hence it working just fine when I was logged in as that user, but not when I logged out.

Once I copied the files over to the C:\Tools\Beyond Compare 4\ folder that I created for the portable install it worked like a champ.

I have not been logged into the servers since my discussion, and they have run flawlessly each night.

Thanks again for all of the help.

A slight clarification. The Portable Install setup.exe process does not create the BCState.xml in AppData, but in the main install directory. However, if BCState.xml is removed or renamed from the Install directory, this reverts the install to a Normal Install, which will then auto-generate settings files into AppData the next time BCompare.exe is run. The presence of "BCState.xml" within the install directory determines, as Bcompare.exe is run, if it should be a Portable Install or Normal Install. The Setup.exe allows the user to choose which install type then need.

If creating a Portable Install, always pick a directory which has read/write access. With Windows Vista/7/8/10, Program Files\ is locked down with extra security and is not an appropriate location for a portable install. It would need to be elsewhere (such as a new folder created in C:\Tools\).
    Aaron P Scooter Software