X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beebell
    New User
    • May 2016

BC keeps hanging

I was a BC for Windows fan many years ago and just now found out there's a Mac version. So I downloaded and installed.

Everything is fine for about 5-6 comparisons... then performance slows to a crawl. It's most noticeable when I try to change a path in one of the text compare fields. For instance, position my cursor at the end of the file name... wait 1-2 minutes... hit backspace to delete the last character... wait 1-2 minutes.

The only means of fixing the issue is to quit the app and relaunch.

I'm on Mac OS X 10.11.4 and running BC 4.1.6.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. How would you be launching the comparisons? I'm testing with the terminal and using bcompare file1 file2 and also trying with a Folder Compare clicking on child sessions and multiple tabs, not closing the tabs after they are launched. And how large are the files you are comparing and what types of files?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• beebell
      New User
      • May 2016

I'm launching the first comparison from the GUI (Session->New Session->Folder Compare). I select my first two directories to compare using the "Browse for Folder" buttons. That works fine. I then continue with other comparisons by changing the paths in the two dropdowns. That works fine for a few comparisons. At some point, I attempt to change one of the paths and discover that it's hung.

I do not have a lot of tabs open -- usually just home, the directory comparison window and one or two file comparisons that were opened by double-clicking one of the diffs shown in the directory comparison window.

Neither of the comparisons are what I would call large. The directory comparison is typically a tree with no more than 5-6 levels and a maximum of ~1000 total files in the tree. The file comparisons are a few K at most and all of them are text files.

The comparisons themselves are speedy. I only have the problem when I go to configure the next comparison.

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

Thanks for the report. How would you be launching the comparisons? I'm testing with the terminal and using bcompare file1 file2 and also trying with a Folder Compare clicking on child sessions and multiple tabs, not closing the tabs after they are launched. And how large are the files you are comparing and what types of files?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the feedback. Could we get a few more details? What are some of the example paths you initially load, and then what do you change it to? Are the changes manual (typing/editing text) or selecting items from the MRU dropdown? Do these edits change the remote source/server; are both sides cifs? If you need to submit privately, you can email us at [email protected] with a link back to this forum thread.

Testing on our own local smb/cifs server, and loading new paths into the base locations, I'm not seeing the same slowdown you describe, yet.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• googull
          Visitor
          • Sep 2005

Since 4.1.6 I have been having similar issue - I have engaged one way copies between drives and between NAS (AFP) connections each time they slowing and finally just stopping. Odd because the file shares come up fine on Finder and I can use a native OS X file copy. But copies using BC are causing me lots of trouble.

running OS X 10.11.5 (El Capitan) on Mac Pro (Early 2008) with 32GB RAM.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

Would this be between different tabs, require multiple copy transfers, or does this happen every time you attempt a transfer large enough to notice the deceleration? How large of a transfer do you need to hit the slowdown?

You can email us at [email protected] with a link back to this thread brief summary, and we can help get you an older version to test.

Have you had a chance to reboot your NAS device and computer? If both are power cycled, does this help or is the behavior reproducible? Does it occur every time?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...