Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Today I found a (hopefully helpful) detail.

I'm syncing my Android device via FTP to my local harddisc on my notebook.

Whenever I scroll over files, BC hangs a bit. On FTP connections this delay is a bit long than on local comparisons only.

BC seems to do something here whenever you move the selection with the cursor keys over files.

You can reproduce this behaviour. Open a comparison and open a folder with files in it. Place the selection on a folder (left, right, both doesn't matter) und navigate with Cursor down key over some files.

Found another possible hint, I have the same setup, Linux Mint 17.3 64-bit, BC 4.1.6 build 21095. Started having very slow performance when comparing more than a hundred files.

Checking the issue, found that BC is trashing the disk, via Linux swapping memory out; reducing system swappiness to 10 from the default of 60 fixed the issue for most cases.

Now I struggle to compare successfully folders with hundreds / thousands of files, specially pictures. Further checking, seems like BC uses quite a large quantity of RAM per each file compared when using rule-comparison, which is not re-used. On my case, given enough files, BC manages to exhaust all system RAM & SWAP, freezing the system.

Running valgrind on BC seems to show a few memory leaks.

Can I send a small sample set of pictures, valgrind log & BCSupport.zip to support? mostly pictures of my cats :P

My system runs with a swappiness setting of 25 (instead of default 60). I have 8 GB physical RAM.

You can observe an increase of virtual memory for BC if you open some images in comparison. This memory doesn't get recovered at all until you close BC.

I think there is some issue in combination with filesystem relevant code. On local comparisons I don't feel much lagging, but on remote sessions (SFTP via 1 GBit LAN connection) there is more lagging, and FTP sessions are worst connections. It seems BC is fetching file information on every cursor movement. Previous versions didn't have this problems.

Hello,

We have found at least one potential issue with 4.1.6 that may be related: if you have a large list of Filters, there is a performance regression in 4.1.6 compared to 4.1.5. If you create a copy of your session and remove the current Name Filters, then load the session, does this help performance for you?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Hello,

We have found at least one potential issue with 4.1.6 that may be related: if you have a large list of Filters, there is a performance regression in 4.1.6 compared to 4.1.5. If you create a copy of your session and remove the current Name Filters, then load the session, does this help performance for you?
    Hi,

I can confirm this issue. In my sync session between my Android device and my computer I use some filters to exclude unimportant folders. If I clear this list, BC reacts much better.

I recently upgraded to Linux Mint 18 and still have the problem as originally reported. But, I can also confirm that if I remove my filters from my comparisons that the performance of 4.1.6 also greatly improves.

Beyond Compare 4.1.7 is now available, it includes a fix for Linux performance issues.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Thank you for the new version.

First quick tests show big improvements, indeed. Especially on FTP connections I had the biggest impact. Now it runs much smoother. I'm doing further testing next days with different profiles. But by now it looks great!

My Mint Linux 18 install using 4.1.7-21529 no longer has sluggish performance with large comparisons with multiple filters and tabs open.
    All is well!!