Getting segmentation fault after years of working fine.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guyc
    Visitor
    • May 2016

Getting segmentation fault after years of working fine.

Hi Scooter

Help please.

I've been using BC3 Linux under ubuntu and more recently centos 6.5 for 2 years + 2 years. Since last week I'm getting:
    /usr/bin/bcompare: line 46: 16880 Segmentation fault (core dumped) /bin/bash -c "exec -a $0 $EXEC $ARGS" $0

I edited the bcompare script to show the actual command line and I get the following:
    $ bcompare ~/.login ~/.cshrc
    exec -a /usr/bin/bcompare /usr/lib/beyondcompare/BCompare '/home/psi/charbonn/.login' '/home/psi/charbonn/.cshrc' /usr/bin/bcompare
    /usr/bin/bcompare: line 46: 16880 Segmentation fault (core dumped) /bin/bash -c "exec -a $0 $EXEC $ARGS" $0

I'm using tcsh. The exact os is:
    $ cat /etc/redhat-release
    CentOS release 6.5 (Final)

I'm not sure of the originally version of the rpm. After having problems I yum removed and today:
    Installed the 32bit from scootersoftware via
    wget ...
    sudo yum install bcompare-4.1.5.21031.x86_64.rpm
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

You can re-install BC3 using the .rpm from our website, here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=dl3_en

BC3 is 32bit only, but should install on Centos 6 64bit with the necessary backwards compatibility libraries.

Did you update BC3 recently? Our last update was in Oct 2014 and we haven't made any changes to BC3 since then. Were there any other changes made to your system recently?

You can also try the trial of BC4. BC4.1+ is available as a native 64bit client, and that looks like the correct yum command (or you can download it direct here):
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

The above error text: is this from your BC3 install or BC4 install? Was it the exact same text/error when running BC3 and BC4? Have you rebooted your computer recently, and if not, please give that a try?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• guyc
      Visitor
      • May 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

You can re-install BC3 using the .rpm from our website, here:
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=dl3_en

BC3 is 32bit only, but should install on Centos 6 64bit with the necessary backwards compatibility libraries.

Did you update BC3 recently? Our last update was in Oct 2014 and we haven't made any changes to BC3 since then. Were there any other changes made to your system recently?

You can also try the trial of BC4. BC4.1+ is available as a native 64bit client, and that looks like the correct yum command (or you can download it direct here):
      http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php

The above error text: is this from your BC3 install or BC4 install? Was it the exact same text/error when running BC3 and BC4? Have you rebooted your computer recently, and if not, please give that a try?

I was using BC3. Yes I tried reboot, rm ~/.beyondcompare ~/.config/bcompare .... .
      I tried BC4 and it works fine.
      Re-installed BC3 since I don't have a license for BC4. Lastest BC3 from Scooter.
      Still same problem.
      If I login as a different user on the same machine, it works fine. So I tried removing some preference files/folders under ~/.config like qt, kde and a few others.

Guy

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Did you find and remove/move Beyond Compare's preferences under .config/bcompare to revert to factory defaults? That would reset our own settings. If a new user works, but resetting our settings does not, their must have been another program changed on your system recently. QT is a good place to start, since we do use that, but has there been any other recent updates, additions, or changes you've made?

I've created a Centos 6.5 test system with all updates applied, and BC 3.3.13 installs and boots without error.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• guyc
          Visitor
          • May 2016

Answer and more questions.

Originally posted by Aaron
          Hello,

Did you find and remove/move Beyond Compare's preferences under .config/bcompare to revert to factory defaults? That would reset our own settings. If a new user works, but resetting our settings does not, their must have been another program changed on your system recently. QT is a good place to start, since we do use that, but has there been any other recent updates, additions, or changes you've made?

I've created a Centos 6.5 test system with all updates applied, and BC 3.3.13 installs and boots without error.
          Yes I have tried removing ~/.config both .beyondcompare and .bcompare.

There might have been other changes to my system. Unfortunately I don't track what they are. especially when they come in via some other dependency update.

I will try updating my QT 32 bit and let you know. Should that be QT3 or QT4?

P.S. Thanks for all your efforts.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

BC3 uses QT3. We normally handle dependencies if you install using the .rpm. Were there any errors or logs when you attempted to install with our .rpm?
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...