Why does it compare *after* I open files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fubardebar
    New User
    • May 2016

Why does it compare *after* I open files?

New user here.

When I compare two folders, it shows some files in red color on right column.

When I double clicked on one file in RHS, it shows the comparison with collreponsing file in left coulmn. There were a few differences in these two files (shell scripts, *.sh). All fine!

But for another file, which was shown in red color, I doubliclicked, there were *no differences*! Why did it show in red color then?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The default Folder Compare scan is for timestamp and size, and any difference with these two values will mark the files as different. Double clicking runs a Rules-based scan, which compares the text values within the file (and ignores some differences, like line break characters that are Linux on one side but Windows on the other); these results are then brought back up to the parent Folder Compare and populate the center column between files.

The Folder Compare can be configured to run a Rules-based scan on all files, or you can review why your files returned equal even though the timestamp or size is different using the Text Compare's View menu -> Whitespace and other tools.

We have more information in this KB article: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame

Let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...