Default Why does it compare *after* I open files?

New user here.

When I compare two folders, it shows some files in red color on right column.

When I double clicked on one file in RHS, it shows the comparison with collreponsing file in left coulmn. There were a few differences in these two files (shell scripts, *.sh). All fine!

But for another file, which was shown in red color, I doubliclicked, there were *no differences*! Why did it show in red color then?

Hello,

The default Folder Compare scan is for timestamp and size, and any difference with these two values will mark the files as different. Double clicking runs a Rules-based scan, which compares the text values within the file (and ignores some differences, like line break characters that are Linux on one side but Windows on the other); these results are then brought back up to the parent Folder Compare and populate the center column between files.

The Folder Compare can be configured to run a Rules-based scan on all files, or you can review why your files returned equal even though the timestamp or size is different using the Text Compare's View menu -> Whitespace and other tools.

We have more information in this KB article: http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...ferentthensame

Let us know if you have any questions.
    Aaron P Scooter Software