X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iapearsall
    New User
    • May 2016

How to avoid quotation marks around fields in a table compare

I am doing a table compare of 2 excel files.

On one side, none of the address columns have quotation marks surrounding the text. The setting on the top of that side looks like this:

MS Excel Workbooks | Converted | unicode | BOM | PC | Tab | Quote | Column Names

On the other side, some of the address fields have quotation marks around them. It looks like when # is used, the text is then surrounded by quotation marks. The setting on the top of that side looks like this. How do I get the quote setting to appear so that no quotation marks are used in the address fields.

MS Excel Workbooks | Converted | unicode | BOM | PC | Tab | Column Names.

Thank you,

[email protected]
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Beyond Compare's conversion does not purposefully add " characters to the data. BC3 is using Excel in the background to convert from .xlsx to a .txt file for comparison, and we then open this .txt output.

The upper status bar displays the currently detected Encoding, Line Ending, Delimiter, and Text qualifier and underlines them if there is a difference between the left and right side.

I created sample files based on your description, including a # in an Address field, but quotes were not auto-inserted; this may be something more specific with your files. If you open them in Excel, and Save As CSV or Tab delimited, then open in Notepad, what do you see?

You can also email us at [email protected] with a set of sample files, your BCSupport.zip from the Help menu->Support; Export, and a couple full screen screenshots showing the problem. If you email, please also include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• iapearsall
      New User
      • May 2016

Thank you. It works (no quotation marks around the address) when I save the Excel as a csv and then open the csv in BC. Appreciate the help.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

It might help to try our Alternate download for Excel files if that is the case. It performs a slightly different conversion, which may work automatically for you: http://www.scootersoftware.com/downl..._moreformatsv3
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...