X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patridge
    New User
    • Sep 2015

Dropbox uploads consistently failing

I've been using Beyond Compare to compare a local folder of images to a Dropbox backup to see what needs to be added to the Dropbox side of things. While it loads the comparisons very nicely, uploading files is proving inconsistent. There are definitely successes, but in any group of files copied to Dropbox, there will consistently be failures with "Wrong socket state 0 in CanRecieve (error code is 96258)" (just now, across 20 files, there was about 30% errors).

Is there something in Beyond Compare's preferences I can adjust to try to minimize these errors when using the Dropbox APIs?

Setup:
    Mac OS X v10.11.4
    Beyond Compare 4 v4.1.5 (build 21031)
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. I've created a varied dataset and have hit a few Dropbox upload transfers with this error. I'll open a tracker entry and we'll investigate.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• nspirov
      Visitor
      • Oct 2013

I'm having this too.
      I have a professional (paid) Dropbox account, MacOS 10.11.5, BC Version 4.1.6 (build 21095).

I did some experimenting and it seems that I am more often able to upload small files and the bigger the file the more probability to fail. I can't find an exact size threshold - there are files around 100-130 MB that fail once then upload successfully next try. It's not a timeout either - some fail in 1:05 and some upload successfully in 1:35. I also had one file only 20 MB that failed twice in less than a second. Then it uploaded on the third try.

My internet speed is somewhat inconsistent, about 100-150 MB per minute.

During the upload, the bytes transferred do not increase and the progress bar does not advance.
      When downloading, no such problem, tested with files up to 300 MB, however the byte count and the progress bar still don't work.

BTW I just discovered the support for Dropbox yesterday. I really love BC more and more, I can't imagine working on a computer without it. Thank you.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Thanks. This is still an open issue we are looking into. I'll add your notes to our tracker entry on the subject and they will help our developers' investigation.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• pam4187
          New User
          • Jul 2016

I am having this issue as well. How can I receive a notification when there is a fix?

Thanks!

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

I'll add you to our tracker entry notes, but this does not generate an automatic notification. I would suggest subscribing to our News and Announcements forum, where we'll post updates for new versions. We would reference the fix in the update's changelog. We'll also try to manually email you when the issue is fixed.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rianno
              Journeyman
              • Nov 2020

I've the same issue - "Wrong socket state 0 in CanRecieve (error code is 96258)" - with BC4 on Windows 7 Pro.
              The files not copied don't have any criteria: sometimes are big (100 MB) sometimes are normal (5 MB).
              I have to repeat several times until all files are copied to the other folder.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are you using the latest BC 4.3.7, and is it 32bit or 64bit installed?

Do you have any issues when using the native Dropbox app to upload files?
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rianno
                  Journeyman
                  • Nov 2020

The latest BC 4.3.7, at 64bit

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Thanks. And, did you get a chance to test against the official client?

And about how often does it occur? Is it more probable with larger files?
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rianno
                      Journeyman
                      • Nov 2020

Just tried again today.
                      It failed with one file, giving the same error: "Wrong socket state 0 in CanReceive (error code is 96258)"
                      The file's size was: 147 MB

Comment

• rianno
                        Journeyman
                        • Nov 2020

tried again with another file (size: 1,23GB). After 18 min, it stopped giving the same error: "Wrong socket state 0 in CanReceive (error code is 96258)"

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

For your transfers, what success/failure rate are you looking at? Is this 50% failures? 1 out 100 attempts? I'm aware of a specific issue, sporadic Dropbox failures usually (but not always) with large files, but it's been specific to MacOS in the past.

And if you use Dropbox itself on this system, what behavior does it show while syncing up a similar test data set?
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rianno
                            Journeyman
                            • Nov 2020

Sorry, but I forgot to tell you that this happens with Onedrive Business.
                            It happens every time I sync: always some file misses.

Comment

• Aaron
                              Team Scooter
                              • Oct 2007

Hello,

Are you on a Wifi connection? Any interruption (even a small hiccup that other programs silently workaround) could lead to a file failing to transfer. BC4 can resume from reconnecting FTP sources, but our OneDrive support isn't as robust and can fail more easily from transient network errors. If there are any hardware components in your network you can reboot, that might help with testing.
                              Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...