How to display older file on the left, newer file on the right?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tdog
    Visitor
    • Apr 2016

How to display older file on the left, newer file on the right?

Hello, I've searched the BC help that comes with the software, and searched these forums, and searched the internet in general, but for the life of me I can't figure out when doing a two-way text compare how to get an older file to display in the left ("A") window, and a newer file in the right ("B") window. Can anyone give me a tip or tips? I tried playing with scripts, which I've never done in Windows (using 'select'), but I couldn't get it to work.

Alternatively, is there a way to make it so that if a file name has the word "old" in it, it would display on the left?

Thanks in advance. I've spent more than an hour searching for answers on this and I'm confused. I must say that BC is very helpful, very powerful software, so I'm hoping it can do this.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

How are you calling to BC4? If you are using a command line, the first parameter filename is the left file and the second is the right file. We do not scan the metadata before launching the compare. From a Folder Compare, double clicking will launch the left side to the left side of the child compare, and right to right.

We do display the timestamp in the upper status bar on each pane, and have a Swap button in the toolbar to flip sides for a manual adjustment after the files have been opened. The Folder Compare also has a Swap Sides button.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Tdog
      Visitor
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

How are you calling to BC4? If you are using a command line, the first parameter filename is the left file and the second is the right file. We do not scan the metadata before launching the compare. From a Folder Compare, double clicking will launch the left side to the left side of the child compare, and right to right.

We do display the timestamp in the upper status bar on each pane, and have a Swap button in the toolbar to flip sides for a manual adjustment after the files have been opened. The Folder Compare also has a Swap Sides button.
      I highlight (drag select with mouse) both files and then right mouse click > Compare. I know that the order you select the files orders how they will display in BC (I'm using BC 3), first selected goes on the left, second selected goes on the right. I use BC often, say 10-20 times a day often, sometimes more. Instead of having to stop and figure out which file is older and then select that one first, I was hoping that the software could do it for me, so I could just select and compare, and it would put the older on on the left.

I usually use the swap button, but again, I need to look and figure out which is the older file and then swap. I know that it only takes a second or two to do this, and a second or two to click the swap button, but when you do it often, you notice it.

BC is very powerful software, that's why I was hoping it might have a function like this, or be able to find the word "old" in the file name and move that one to the left.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Sorry, we do not currently support this type of detection. What I might recommend is writing a custom Batch script that can detect your file name scheme, and use an Open With command. The Open With could run the script, then generate the command line to call BC4 and pass the files in the order you need. You can then trigger the Open With from a parent Folder Compare using the right click menu or a customized hotkey.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Tdog
          Visitor
          • Apr 2016

Aaron,

Thanks for your replies on this, I really appreciate it. I've always wanted to learn how to do batch scripting, and it looks like this is my chance!

Thanks, T

Comment

Working...