X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borekb
    Enthusiast
    • Jan 2015

Scrolling via touchpad doesn't work

Dell XPS 13 with "precision touchpad" and Windows 10: when I scroll over the left or right pane with two finger gesture, BC 4.1 does not scroll. Neither in text comparison, nor in folder view.

BC Version 4.1.5 (build 21031)
    Latest Windows 10 x64
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. Testing on a Win7 laptop, the two finger scrolling works as expected. I'll update to Win10 to see if this helps reproduce the issue. In the meantime, are there any driver updates available for your laptop? They might also help resolve the issue.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• borekb
      Enthusiast
      • Jan 2015

Hi Aaron, I'm on the latest drivers and scrolling works everywhere except BC4.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

I've updated one of our laptops to Windows 10, and BC 4.1.5's Text Compare scrolls with two fingers on this machine. Does Notepad and Chrome or Internet Explorer scroll on your system but not BC4? Have there been any driver or firmware updates for your Dell since the original report?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• borekb
          Enthusiast
          • Jan 2015

Do you have a laptop with "Precision Touchpad" or not? I do, and it's still the same – all the apps scroll fine (tried Notepad, IE, Firefox, Chrome, Word and cmder) and BC4 doesn't. I've tried both folder compare and text compare (text compare is the primary use case for me), and also tried toggling Edit mode on or off. Still the same, BC4 doesn't scroll.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

No, our test machines in office are either generally MacBooks or Lenovo laptops, which do not exhibit the issue. We're a smaller office and do not have a wide selection of the newest hardware. Some of us personally own laptops at home (although none are Dell with Precision Touch), which we'll use to broaden our test case this week. So far, we have not seen the issue replicate or had other reports of this behavior.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• borekb
              Enthusiast
              • Jan 2015

Do you perhaps use some text edit component that is found in other Windows programs that I could try?

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

Beyond Compare 4 is written in Delphi. You could try another delphi-based Text editor, such as Editpad Lite. There's no guarantee they process their text and scrolling identically, but if you wanted to try a trial of another, similar software it may be a useful test:
                http://www.editpadlite.com/
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• girishp
                  New User
                  • May 2016

I have a Surface Pro 4 (which has the similar precision touchpad). Scrolling doesn't work in BC4. Scroll with two fingers works fine on all other apps (office, firefox, chrome, notepad, command prompt, gvim, etc.).

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for that info. We should be able to get a Surface in the office for testing, and hopefully it will reproduce the issue.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• borekb
                      Enthusiast
                      • Jan 2015

I've just tried EditPadLite and it worked fine, so it's really Beyond Compare-specific. I've got one more observation / idea: two-finger scroll seems to attempt something on the scrollbars - they briefly flicker. It almost seems as if BC4 attempted to scroll but the sensitivity was not set correctly, or something like that. When I tried "crazily scrolling" (moving two fingers up and down randomly & very quickly), BC4 eventually "scrolled" (jumped to lower part of the editor). It's very hard to replicate so again, my best guess would be that the sensitivity is somehow not right.

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

We may have tracked this down and are working on a fix. This won't likely make it into 4.1.6 but should be in a following release.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• LonelyPixel
                          Enthusiast
                          • Jan 2007

Same here. BC won't scroll with two fingers on the Type Cover touch pad of a Surface Pro 4. Notepad++ and everything else does scroll. Using the mouse wheel also works in BC. Windows 10.1607 x64.
                          Last edited by LonelyPixel; 05-Aug-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Aaron
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

We have an update to this behavior for Precision Touchpads that will be available in the next release of BC4.
                            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...