X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zsleo
    New User
    • Feb 2016

Update Synchronise

I cannot find a way to do what I describe below. If BeyondCompare does not do this, I am requesting a new feature.

I want to "Update Synchronise" in one direction between locations. For the purpose of this explanation I will use left side (LHS) as the source and right side (RHS) as destination.

What I want to do is copy all files from LHS to RHS BUT with the following operating process for each LHS file:

1. check if the file exists on RHS
    1.1 if the file does not exist then copy LHS to RHS
    1.2 if RHS does exist
    1.2.1 if RHS has version signature then rename RHS using RHS version
    1.2.2 if no RHS version then rename RHS with RHS using RHS timestamp
    1.2.3 if RHS proposed rename exists the make proposed RHS name next highest rename sequence
    1.2.4 copy LHS to RHS

RHS file name conventions:
    - original RHS file: [body].[ext]
    - new RHS file: [body]_[version_or_timestamp]_[sequence].[ext]
    * "_[sequence]" is only used when naming conflicts exist
    * "timestamp" format CCYYMMHHNNSS
    CC == century
    YY == year
    MM == month
    HH == hour (24 hour format)
    NN == minute
    SS == seconds

Regards
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

We do not have the ability to check for Version information and parse that information automatically into a rename. We can expose the Version as a column or compare the version between two aligned files that both have versions. You can use the Session Settings and File Name filters to limit your view to only .exe or .dll files and enable Compare Versions, then find differences and manually rename your files. Once these are resolved, you can copy files that have other differences from left to right.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• zsleo
      New User
      • Feb 2016

Thanks for the reply but my requirement is to automate the process.

The scenario: I have a release for test folder on a server where every build's binaries and non-binaries (eg DOC, TXT, XLS, etc) are maintained with the above naming/renaming convention is applied.

Every file is renamed before a new one is copied and no file is ever overwritten.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Our automated scripting supports a rename command, and also has the variables %data% and %fn_time%. Using the combination of the variables and rename, you can give files a date and/or timestamp into the file name.

It is unlikely we'll be able to implement the automation of version extraction and rename functionality, which would require opening files unlike gathering other metadata.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...