X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • janne
    New User
    • Jan 2016

BC4 as difftool not working for git version 2.6.3.windows.1

I've been long time BC fan and been missing using it since I changed jobs. I'll tried to give it a try but for some reason it won't launch as git difftool. I'm running it on 64-bit Windows 8. Git version is 2.6.3.windows.1. I followed instructions on your website and my git config looks for bc as:

[diff]
    tool = bc
    [difftool "bc"]
    path = c:/Program Files/Beyond Compare 4/bcomp.exe

However nothing happens when I try to launch it via git difftool <file>

Any idea what could be wrong ? I recall that older version of BC, Git and Windows worked just out of the box.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

While Git will hopefully be patched to use "bc" as the shortcut, the current version still requires using "bc3" text (even for BC4). We have details here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...vcs#gitwindows
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• janne
      New User
      • Jan 2016

Yes I checked that but it states "Note: Git versions older than 2.2.0 (git --version) use "bc3" as the keyword for BC4. For Git 2.2.0+, use "bc". To launch a diff using Beyond Compare, use the command "git difftool foofile.txt"." I have version 2.6. Anyway didn't work with that BC3 config either. Is this limitation of the trial version ?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

It is not a trial limitation. Our trial is fully featured, so we can troubleshoot this before purchase is necessary.

Which Git Installer source would you be using? Is it http://git-scm.com/ ? We've seen different support depending on if this source is used, compiling from code, GitHub, etc. Verifying with the latest 2.6.4 64bit Setup.exe from git-scm, the shortcut for "bc" seems to work.

Are you using the Git Bash to enter "git difftool file"?

What error message are you seeing when you use the above command line?

You mention Windows 8. Just in case: are you using the latest updates for 8.1, or are you on 8.0?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• gatsu
          Visitor
          • Mar 2017

This is my exact same problem as the above user. To give you all relevant information

Downloaded and installed from https://git-scm.com/downloads
          using Git Bash exclusively, but when installed did the second option (install git for windows command line) if that matters.
          In windows 10 64 pro

when running "git difftool file" it shows the default output of git diff (all in bash). there is no error. When running "git mergetool file" beyond compare launches as it should. Below is my setup.

$ git --version
          git version 2.12.0.windows.1

[merge]
          tool = bc
          [mergetool "bc"]
          path = c:/program files/beyond compare 4/bcomp.exe
          [diff]
          tool = bc
          [difftool "bc"]
          path = c:/program files/beyond compare 4/bcomp.exe

The only other additional thing being used is git LFS.

Comment

Working...