X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oledave
    Visitor
    • Mar 2005

Constant Hanging since XP sp2

BC hangs up on me on a regular basis anytime I try to sync/copy/move more than 150 files. The last command listed is always Recv> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for [filename].

The only way I can get out of it is to go into Task Manager and do an End Task. I just downloaded the latest beta hoping it would help but it didn't.

I've searched these forums on many occasions and tried every recommendation (mostly just switching to Passive Mode) I could find with no luck. This has happened with at least two different webhosts.

I'm running Beta 2.3 build 229 on XP Home with all the latest updates.

What can I do?

Thanks,
    David O'Leary
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Re: Constant Hanging since XP sp2

Hi David,

I did some testing with 2.3 beta build 229, and I was able to reproduce hanging problems when transferring an extremely large number of files. I talked to our FTP guru (Craig) and he said he will look into it.

For right now, your best bet is probably to use version 2.2.7 and set it to passive mode.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• oledave
      Visitor
      • Mar 2005

I had the exact same problem with 2.2.7. I upgraded to 2.3 hoping it would fix it. I've only used 2.3 for a few transfers but I believe it is equivalent or better than 2.2.7. I've been having this problem now for over 6 months.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

It might help if we can see a verbose log of your problematic connection.

You can force BC to write the log to a file as it runs by selecting View|Log|Write To from the menu.

Also, if you can find out what FTP server software is running on the problematic server that might help as well.

Please email the information to [email protected] and we'll look into it further.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Chris
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

One last thing, the subject of the thread says hanging since XP SP2. Does the hang show up if you temporarily disable the Windows Firewall?
          Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• oledave
            Visitor
            • Mar 2005

I'll try these things next time I have to do a large sync.

The FTP server I believe is IIS for both of the sites for which I've seen the problem.

I believe the problems started with XP SP2. The firewall is certainly a likely contenter... I'll see if I can reproduce with the Firewall disabled.

Comment

• oledave
              Visitor
              • Mar 2005

2.4 beta seems to have solved this problem. And seems to be a great, stable build overall.

Comment

Hi guys, this is a great product, we've been using it a while now. But with every version we try including the 2.4 beta we cannot make it do a sych over our 1500 directories that we have on our servers...it hangs...it just cannot complete the job. For instance I wanted to sycn the directory structure today and copy any jpgs from left to right...got about 200 directories in and stopped....

A fix to this one and only bug would be great!

Comment

• Chris
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

What FTP server software is the server running?

Does it hang while transferring files or does it hang during the directory comparison? If it hangs during comparison, it might help to check "Recursive [-R]" in the FTP>Advanced section of Tools|Options.

About how many files are in the folders you are comparing?

If the server is a Unix/Linux server, are there any symbolic links in the set of files and folders that you are syncing?
                  Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

I see this issue several times a week, syncing XP Pro SP2 (Zonealarm firewall) with Server 2003 SP1/Server 2000 SP4 IIS. Seems like the only way to get it to go away is to reboot if I terminate a few unresponsive sessions. I quite often will sync server to server with 4 websites and might have multiple BC sessions open at the same time. I've been plagued by this thru several versions. I would expect it to finally time-out after a minute but I can leave and come back 15 minutes later and BC is still hanging. FTP problems like this are my only complaint in an otherwise great product.

Comment

• Chris
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Have you tried the suggestions from our FTP problems page? http://www.scootersoftware.com/support.php?c=kb_ftp.php

Toggling passive mode, switching FTP libraries, or using -R for recursive directory listings as described in the above link might help.
                      Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...