• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mattnewnham
    New User
    • Nov 2015

V4.1.2 install on Yosemite

Hi,

I'm trying to get the latest version (4.1.2) to run on OSX Yosemite, but when I run the app it just bounces in the task panel, then disappears.

Procedure:
    - download zip
    - double click zip to extract
    - double click app
    - “Beyond Compare” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?
    - click Open
    - icon bounces in task panel then disappears

I've tried going into the app contents and running BCompare from a terminal window with:
    sudo open -n /Users/MYUSERNAME/Downloads/Beyond\ Compare.app/Contents/MacOS/BCompare

which gives this:
    Beyond Compare Version 4.1.2 (build 20720)
    Exception occurred at: 9120F112
    EAccessViolation: Access violation
    $9120F112 libsystem_platform.dylib ($91209000) _platform_memmove$VARIANT$sse42 + 34.
    $9A55A5E1 libsystem_c.dylib ($9A550000) bcopy + 31
    $000119BA BCompare ($00010000) MOVE, cgeneric.inc line 31
    $000395C6 BCompare ($00010000) ANSISTRLICOMP, cwstring.pp line 734
    $000AE1FB BCompare ($00010000) ISOSXSTATEQUERYWORKING, cMicroThreads line 1206

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report and stack trace. We've tracked this bug down and are working on a fix to add into BC 4.1.3.

This currently only affects OSX 10.10.0 and 10.10.1 users. If you update to a newer minor version of 10.10, or to 10.11, that should help with this bug.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ashokzg
      New User
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Aaron
      Thanks for the report and stack trace. We've tracked this bug down and are working on a fix to add into BC 4.1.3.

This currently only affects OSX 10.10.0 and 10.10.1 users. If you update to a newer minor version of 10.10, or to 10.11, that should help with this bug.
      Hello I tried to use the BC 4.1.3 version on Mac ElCapitan OS version, and the problem still exists. Here's the screen dump upon crash:

exception at 9B42D05E:
      Access violation.
      logout
      Saving session...
      ...copying shared history...
      ...saving history...truncating history files...
      ...completed.
      Deleting expired sessions...138 completed.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

This stack trace appears to be a different cause. Did you hit this crash on start up of your first launch of the application, without ever seeing the interface?

If you reboot your machine, does the crash reproduce? It might be helpful to get a copy of your settings files from your Library/Application Support/Beyond Compare 4/ emailed to us at [email protected]
        If you email us, please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• antik
          New User
          • Nov 2008

I began this as a post to corroborate the report of an access violation in 4.1.3 on OSX 10.11.3 when running bcomp from /Applications like ashokzg described. Luckily, I may've actually fixed my problem in trying to document reproduction steps for Aaron.

ashokzg, try this:
          Get Beyond Compare to launch, one way or another (I can launch it from launcher without any issues and I can run bcompare using the full path from Terminal - hopefully one of these works for you)
          In the Beyond Compare menu, press Install Command Line Tools...
          Close Beyond Compare (command Q)
          Return to your shell and run "bcomp <file1> <file2>"

NOTE: The key difference here appears to be that after the command line tools are installed, /usr/local/bin/bcomp and /usr/local/bin/bcompare are both installed. When you run bcomp, you're getting /usr/local/bin/bcomp. In those programs where you don't have a shell (for example, I was trying to configure Beyond Compare as my external diff tool in Atlassian's SourceTree) you can use /usr/local/bin/bcomp or /usr/local/bin/bcompare for integration.

Thanks to Aaron's post here for getting me started in the right direction here:
          http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...ontrol-Systems
          Last edited by antik; 02-Feb-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...