• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_barnowl
    Expert
    • Apr 2008

Problems with \\tsclient drives

Usage :

Using remmina (linux RDP client) to connect to a Win2k8 server.

Sharing a folder from the Linux machine to the Windows server. Accessing the files on that share from Explorer works fine : if I try and open a session view from Bcompare (installed on the Win2k8 server) the \\tsclient\ drive drops and ceases to work, even from Explorer.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

I setup a test environment with Ubuntu 14.04 running the newest version of remmina, connecting to a Windows 10 machine, which has a Shared folder pointing back to the Ubuntu 14.04 machine. I'm also using the latest release of BC 4.1.2 64bit.

I didn't see the dropped folder. How did you configure the share? Are you using the latest release of samba? I followed steps here to configure the Share on Ubuntu to be seen on Windows: https://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how...ows-and-linux/
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dr_barnowl
      Expert
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
      How did you configure the share?
      Not a Samba share - the share mechanism built into RDP. Configured via the remmina UI - the "share file" checkbox at the bottom of the connection. These show up as shares on \\tsclient on the client side, e.g. if your share name is "apple", it will be accessible as \\tsclient\apple

I was able to transfer a file from my Linux client to the Windows box, by using Explorer to copy it to the desktop, so the share works.

Any attempt to view the \\tsclient share from BCompare causes the connection to be severed until you log out and back in again.

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you include your configuration of how you set up your profile in Remmina? I set this option in the saved profile and set it to a target folder on my Linux Desktop, but on the Windows machine the \\tsclient is an empty location, and typing in \\tsclient\folder fails in Explorer. You can post here or email us at [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread.

I would also recommend trying to set up a shared samba folder, as this is supported and works as expected.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• dr_barnowl
          Expert
          • Apr 2008

Setup as depicted, auth TLS, sound off, quality "Poor" :

on the Windows machine the \\tsclient is an empty location
          This feature of RDP can depend on it being enabled on the server AFAIK.

Alas, Samba isn't going to work for me in this situation : the server in question is on a VPN somewhere else and the relevant ports are blocked.

Sadly, it seems that this is also a problem with the Remmina implementation of shared client drives - just tried it with a Windows VM and BCompare successfully compares \\tsclient drives from a Windows client - it even works on drives mapped from Virtualbox shared folders... so this is one way to directly compare my Linux filesystem with the Windows folder (map the \\vboxsvr\ shares to drive letters and share them with the RDP server from the Windows VM inside my Linux machine....)

So : it's something that Windows Explorer doesn't trigger when you use Remmina, but BCompare does.

Have attached a log file from the excellent Sysinternals procmom.exe utility. This has been filtered to entries mentioning \\tsclient (error : BAD NETWORK NAME) and includes stack traces (if you supply me with the debug symbols for the 64-bit Windows build of 20720 I can do it again and get the procedure names instead of just the offsets in BCompare.exe).

At least I have a workaround now :-)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dr_barnowl; 24-Nov-2015, 03:25 AM.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Sorry for the delay. I have been attempting to set up the same environment, but have generally had issues getting the built-in Share Folder option to work between my test machines (via the native File Explorer or BC4). I can continue to test as I get spare time here or there, but I would recommend trying a regular Samba shared folder. While using Remmina, I was able to configure and use a shared folder this way.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...