X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coldforest
    Journeyman
    • Dec 2014

Running 'bcompare' "as root"

Hi, I've poked around to see if I could see anything related to this but came up empty. I'd like to run 'bcompare' "as root" (either via a root shell or via sudo) in order to compare several directories that have root/restricted permissions. When I try to do this I get a blank (grey) bcompare window (see the included screenshot); obviously starting 'bcompare' from a normal user works fine.

I'm running bcompare v4.1.1 on Fedora 22.

Thanks.
    Attached Files
  • Chris
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

I duplicated the blank window problem on Fedora 22 when BC is running as root. This is a bug in Fedora 22, not a bug in Beyond Compare.

Fedora 23 and CentOS 7.1 both display BC 4.1.1's window correctly when launched from a root terminal.

You should upgrade to Fedora 23 if you want to resolve this bug.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Coldforest
      Journeyman
      • Dec 2014

I duplicated the blank window problem on Fedora 22 when BC is running as root. This is a bug in Fedora 22, not a bug in Beyond Compare.
      Thanks Chris. Fedora 23 only just came out and I'm not in a position to upgrade yet. Can you please elaborate on the F22 bug and/or provide information on whether there might be a [F22] workaround?

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

The Fedora 22 bug is: KDE root apps fail to render using X w/o root rights

To run Beyond Compare as root on Fedora 22 without the screen blanking, run the following commands in a terminal:

su
        export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native
        bcompare
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Coldforest
          Journeyman
          • Dec 2014

Thanks Chris, this works fine for me!

Comment

• aqueenan
            Visitor
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Chris
            The Fedora 22 bug is: KDE root apps fail to render using X w/o root rights

To run Beyond Compare as root on Fedora 22 without the screen blanking, run the following commands in a terminal:

su
            export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native
            bcompare
            I'm having the same problem with Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.

Running
            Code:
            sudo QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native bcompare
            is a workaround.

Comment

• swvajanyatek
              Visitor
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Chris

Fedora 23 and CentOS 7.1 both display BC 4.1.1's window correctly when launched from a root terminal.

You should upgrade to Fedora 23 if you want to resolve this bug.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem with fedora 28. i've tried the export workaround listed in other commets with no luck. Are there any other options for resolving this problem, or workarounds for the interim?

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Fedora 28 uses Wayland instead of X11 by default, which doesn't allow graphical applications to run as root/sudo.
                https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...rted-nautilus/

Workaround:
                Logout, then click on the gear icon and select Gnome on Xorg to run using X11 instead of Wayland.
                Launch Beyond Compare as root with the terminal command: sudo QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native bcompare
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Michael Andres
                  Visitor
                  • Apr 2020

Seeing the same problem with a fresh Ubuntu 22.04 install
                  Added export QT_GRAPHICSSYSTEM=native to /usr/bin/bcompare script an it works. I think it should be se there if not already set. That should be easy to change.

Thanks

Comment

Working...