X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • armakuni
    Enthusiast
    • Aug 2014

Some dialogs like "profiles" not opening, causes BC4 to freeze

I'm actually using Version 4.1 (build 20575) and recently ran into this problem:

Whenever I try to open "Tools - Profiles" or click the "..." in a session with a profile entry, BC4 freezes. No dialogue for profiles show up or any other reaction is shown.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Which version of Linux are you running? And is it 32bit or 64bit? And which installer did you use to install (64bit.deb for example)?

Also, are you able to update to BC 4.1.1 and still see the problem? If so, are you able to launch the Tools menu -> Support dialog and generate a BCSupport.zip? If so, please email us at [email protected] along with a link back to this forum thread.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• armakuni
      Enthusiast
      • Aug 2014

I'm sorry, I totally forgot this thread...

I'm sending a BCSupport.zip to you in the next minutes.

Nevertheless, actually I work with version 4.1.9 (build 21719) as 64bit unter Kubuntu 12.04.

I already exported my settings and removed all XML files from my ~/.beyondcompare directory. Even with this "fresh" configuration BC4 freezes if I attempt to open the "Profiles" window...

Comment

• armakuni
        Enthusiast
        • Aug 2014

I found the "problem" (and by the way the reason why it didn't bother me for almost one year)...

I am using the attached QtCurve style. It contains transparent windows. BC4 itself runs without any problem, but the "Profiles" dialogue (and probably other ones) don't like the window transparency.

It looks like a Qt related issue.

I already added BC4 in the attached QtCurve style as exception so it works now. You can test this by removing the "BCompare, bcompare" string from the "noBgndOpacityApps" setting in the file.
        Attached Files

Comment

• armakuni
          Enthusiast
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by armakuni
          I'm sending a BCSupport.zip to you in the next minutes.
          It's impossible for me to send you the ZIP file because your mail server rejects mails from hosts with dynamic IP addresses (like my home based mail server).

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Hello,

If renaming .zip to .txt fails, you could also upload it to a service and email us the link to the private hosting.

We may not need your BCSupport.zip, as the QT customization may be sufficient. However, we may not be able to work around this. BC4 only supports the official desktop environment, and various customization are capable of breaking BC4 or the libraries we are reliant on:
            http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=kb_linux

I'll look into setting up a similar test system to see if it easily reproduces and if it's something we're able to tackle.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• armakuni
              Enthusiast
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Aaron
              We may not need your BCSupport.zip, as the QT customization may be sufficient. However, we may not be able to work around this. BC4 only supports the official desktop environment, and various customization are capable of breaking BC4 or the libraries we are reliant on:
              http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php?zz=kb_linux

I'll look into setting up a similar test system to see if it easily reproduces and if it's something we're able to tackle.

I don't think it's a bug of BC4. In the settings window of QtCurve (I actually use QtCurve 1.8.14 theming engine under KDE 4) there is the Opacity section. There is an note, that opacity settings are experimental and they can cause apps to crash. Therefore the recommedation is to add such apps to an exclusion list to they won't receive background opacity in QtCurve. I enabled this setting already in the uploaded QtCurve style already.

It looks like the best solution and there are probably not many users running into the same issue.

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

I also tested on my VM (Kubuntu 14.04, I didn't have 12.04 handy) with the latest qtcurve and didn't encounter the crash with your imported settings. It's possible they've fixed in in later releases.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...