X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Am30
    Journeyman
    • Apr 2012

Idea - Copy, paste or Move using BC in the 'Right Click' menu

Unfortunately my trial of this great software expired while I was still looking into bugs (nothing to do with BC4 btw)

Would love to know that when I copy and paste a folder in File Explorer, it has copied correctly.

Similar to the Right Click 'Select left folder for compare' and 'Compare to..' it would be great to have a 'Copy using Beyond Compare' and a 'Paste using Beyond Compare'

This would ensure a complete check, at the level the user wanted. It could also be used to move files, files only moving when BeyondCompare said there was no errors.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Beyond Compare 4 for Windows uses the same base copy method that Explorer uses. By copying within the Beyond Compare application, we could run a Binary scan on the items after the copy. Because of the length of the scan, this would require booting the application and could not be performed as a context action. As such, the best method to perform this copy would be to use the existing Compare To command, launch BC4, then perform the copy (with a Binary scan enabled as a default Session Setting).

However, while a Binary scan provides extra security, there isn't a method to account for 100% verification. There are always odd edge cases, such as OS Caching that cannot be bypassed, or driver/hardware caching (CDROM drives, some harddrives) which will always have control over what they expose, even if BC4 or the OS pass in the appropriate "discard cache" flags. It's important to keep this in mind when dealing with data you need to assume is 100% accurate.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Am30
      Journeyman
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Aaron
      Hello,

Beyond Compare 4 for Windows uses the same base copy method that Explorer uses. By copying within the Beyond Compare application, we could run a Binary scan on the items after the copy. Because of the length of the scan, this would require booting the application and could not be performed as a context action. As such, the best method to perform this copy would be to use the existing Compare To command, launch BC4, then perform the copy (with a Binary scan enabled as a default Session Setting).

However, while a Binary scan provides extra security, there isn't a method to account for 100% verification. There are always odd edge cases, such as OS Caching that cannot be bypassed, or driver/hardware caching (CDROM drives, some harddrives) which will always have control over what they expose, even if BC4 or the OS pass in the appropriate "discard cache" flags. It's important to keep this in mind when dealing with data you need to assume is 100% accurate.
      Would a reboot (after important data is copied but before a check is done) help with the caching problems?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

In a lot of cases, yes. But there are always a chance that a poorly designed NAS device or something similar could report poorly. This isn't a BC specific problem; these types of issues would effect any software. I just mention them to help you understand the scenario that if a device improperly reports information, then we're only able to compare what is reported. It's a very, very small chance of hitting any of these in day-to-day work, but it sounds like you are looking for 100.00%.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Am30
          Journeyman
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Aaron
          In a lot of cases, yes. But there are always a chance that a poorly designed NAS device or something similar could report poorly. This isn't a BC specific problem; these types of issues would effect any software. I just mention them to help you understand the scenario that if a device improperly reports information, then we're only able to compare what is reported. It's a very, very small chance of hitting any of these in day-to-day work, but it sounds like you are looking for 100.00%.
          Thanks Aaron, completely appreciate that. I put a lot more trust in software that acknowledges things beyond its control vs. others that claim they can do everything and secretly fail.

Sent an email a couple of days ago to the support address, could you check on that for me. Thanks

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks, and sorry about the email delay. We've had a bit of a backlog form up due to volume and the 4.1 release. I searched on your registered forum email but didn't see anything in our inbox. If you used a different email, please feel free to shoot us another email; I can then try to dig through and find it. If you did use the same email, please give it another go with no attachments to make sure it isn't being caught by a spam filter on either end.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...