should 3 way folder merge work with clearcase?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ddc
    New User
    • Sep 2015

should 3 way folder merge work with clearcase?

Now that version 4 (pro) supports 3 way folder merge, can clearcase be configured to use BC4 for directory merges?

If so, how should it be configured? The Using Beyond Compare with Version Control Systems" webpage says examples are based on beyond compare version 4, but the clearcase section still says nothing about folders.

David
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Folder Merge compatibility depends greatly on how specific version control software stores or sends data to the diff/merge tool. Our Folder Merge requires that the entire folders are accessible on the file system (Git) or accessible via one of our supported Profiles (SVN). We do not have support to remotely connect to Clearcase, and because Clearcase does not have a trial we are unable to directly test against it.

If you contact Clearcase support they may be able to help provide us with the information we would need. Beyond Compare 4 can launch into a Folder Merge by passing in 4 folder paths (Left, Right, Center/Ancestor, and Output) on the command line. If Clearcase supports calling to an external tool with these parameters, then BC4 could load with them.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• ddc
      New User
      • Sep 2015

Hi Aaron,

I contacted IBM Rational technical support and asked if they could work with you to get 3-way folder merge working with ClearCase. Here is their conclusion:

I have looked at your request, the forum topic and talked about this to our developers. ClearCase folder merges are not done the way Beyond Compare usually merges folders, we use a proprietary method even when it needs to go through an external merge tool. Because of this, currently it is not possible to implement 3-way folder merge from BC4 on CC.

If you feel this is an important feature for you, you can submit a Request For Enhancement on Rational ClearCase, using the web site below:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/
      At this point I am not going to pursue the issue any further. I was hoping we could get it to work without significant effort.

Thanks for your help.

David

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

I would suggest submitting the feature request via their link. As their customer, your feedback (hopefully combined with others) would help influence their decision to add a less proprietary, more open format for external tools.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...