X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jpsy
    Visitor
    • Jan 2004

FTP / FTPS / SFTP

Since I use BC4 on Mac (~1,5 years) SFTP was clumsy – e.g. saving a password required to edit the profile and was not simply possible on first login (as with FTP and FTPS). I hardly used SFTP for that reason (I know there are other reports about it in the forum).

Since the latest BC4 beta 4.1 20431 I have the opposite effect. FTP and FTPS do not work anymore for me and I have to revert all my sessions to SFTP. The problem with FTP and FTPS is that they constantly report that the server host address could not be resolved. I cross checked with nslookup and with ftp in terminal and the given host addresses resolve perfectly and plain ftp is working (through command line ftp).
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report. Could you email in two logs of a simple connection: FTP and SFTP? Generally, FTP, FTPS, and SFTP work in the BC 4.1 beta, but there may be something specific with your server that is causing issues. Alternatively, if you could email us a test account, we could directly connect and quickly troubleshoot this.

You can email us at [email protected], and please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• warrentrent
      New User
      • Sep 2015

I'm having a similar problem. Just upgraded to Version 4.1.1 (build 20615) and ftp compares stopped working. It hangs on entering passive mode for any server we host. Where can I find previous versions? I rely on this heavily.

Comment

• Chris
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Version 4.1 added IPv6 support. It's possible your network has IPv6 enabled, but something isn't configured correctly.

To disable IPv6 in Beyond Compare 4.1.1 open "Tools > Options". Enter "ipv6" in the search box. Go to the Tweaks section. Uncheck the highlighted item "Use IPv6 when available".

If turning off IPv6 fixes the problem, please email the results of a web browser connection to http://test-ipv6.com/ to [email protected] and we'll investigate the issue.

If turning off IPv6 doesn't fix the problem, email [email protected] and we'll provide you with a download link for Beyond Compare 4.0.7.
        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• Jeremy
          Visitor
          • Aug 2011

I started having a problem recently with FTP connections and traced it back to the new IPv6 setting. I haven't had time to gather the logs for reporting the issue, but turning off that setting allowed me to connect successfully again. From what I could see it was only happening on domains that had IPv6 DNS entries because IPv4 only domains worked and using the IP address instead of domain worked also.

This may or may not be related to your issue, but I thought it may help isolate it.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks! That might be a useful clue. If you are able to get us any logs, that would be very helpful. You can email them to [email protected], and please include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
              Expert
              • Mar 2008

Same problem here. After the upgrade to 4.1.1 my SFTP sessions stopped working. IPv6 option had no effect. Probably the wrong forum. I am on Win7

Comment

• Chris
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

mzel,

Does BC 4.1.1 display an error message when SFTP stops working, or did it just hang?

What SFTP server software and operating system are your SFTP servers running?

Are you authenticating to the SFTP servers using a password or a private key?

If you've already downgraded to 4.0.7, you can run the 4.1.1 installer and select "Create portable install" to create a stand alone install for testing. Install to a folder on your desktop, then delete the folder to remove it when you're done testing.
                Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
                  Expert
                  • Mar 2008

It did not hang. It said something like (error code 0). I am using private key.
                  This is from the old version's log:
                  10/13/2015 6:22:57 PM Server software: OpenSSH_6.2
                  10/13/2015 6:22:57 PM Using SFTP version 3.

Comment

• Aaron
                    Team Scooter
                    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Could you email us a full initial connection log generated from BC4.07 (working), and then update and generate a log from BC 4.1.1 (not working)? Please email us at [email protected] and include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
                    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
                      Expert
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
                      Hello,

Could you email us a full initial connection log generated from BC4.07 (working), and then update and generate a log from BC 4.1.1 (not working)? Please email us at [email protected] and include a link back to this forum thread for our reference.
                      Where do I find it?

Comment

• Aaron
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

Hello,

The log panel is the green pane at the bottom of the Folder Compare that displays the text of the actions occurring. You can right click to save that text info, or click the Save icon to the left, to save the log to a text file. If you could load up a Folder Compare in the older/working version, connect to the server, then save the log. Then close down and update to the newer/not working version, load the Folder Compare, connect to the server, and save the new log showing the problem. If we can get these two log files, we can then investigate how they differ.
                        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
                          Expert
                          • Mar 2008

should I try with 4.1.2?

Comment

• Chris
                            Team Scooter
                            • Oct 2007

Version 4.1.2 has improvements to IPv6 support. Please try it and let us know if it fixes your problem.
                            Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

• mzel
                              Expert
                              • Mar 2008

works in 4.1.2

Comment

Working...