X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rothkj1022
    Fanatic
    • Apr 2008

Frozen Dialog Makes Software Unusable

Unfortunately since I attempted to try the 4.1 beta (and then rolled back to 4), I am not seeing a serious issue that makes BeyondCompare unusable for me.

When I open up certain sessions with an older ftp profile, the password prompt now pops up, but all is grayed out. I can not click on any part of the UI and get a response. I have to force close the app, and if I go back into the same session, it happens all over again.

I tried to attach a screenshot, but I got a message that my quote would be exceeded. The upload quota is tiny, fyi.

I am very frustrated. I use this software every day for my job. What can be done to wipe out my installation and install again cleanly? Thanks,

Kevin
  • rothkj1022
    Fanatic
    • Apr 2008

Update: This may only be happening with sessions that are comparing files on my external drive.

FYI, the format of my external drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Comment

• rothkj1022
      Fanatic
      • Apr 2008

Well, it was not the external drive that is the problem.

To give you more detail, I was trying to compare a folder on my local external drive to an ftp profile.

I tried:
      - Copied my local (external drive) folder to my primary hard drive
      - Deleted my saved session and tried to recreate it
      - Deleted the ftp profile I was using and tried to recreate it.

Still having the issue.

Comment

• rothkj1022
        Fanatic
        • Apr 2008

I was able to use the application once again, but I had to reinstall the application, wipe out all of my settings, and then do an import WITHOUT ftp profiles. Something about my ftp profiles was breaking the application.

Now I've got probably 100 sessions I have to re-enter the password for.

Comment

• Aaron
          Team Scooter
          • Oct 2007

Hello,

Do you still have a copy of your old setting files? We may be able to reproduce this if you can email in your old setting files to [email protected]. Please include a link back to this forum thread in the email for our reference.

If you can narrow down which session would reliably reproduce the crash, we would only need that session/profile pair to try and load and recreate the disabled dialog you are seeing. Also, if you can reproduce this: if you move the window around, is there another dialog underneath? Asking for a certificate or permission?
          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
            Fanatic
            • Apr 2008

I found out the cause. When I bumped up the simultaneous connections setting from 1 to 5 in my default ftp profile, that's when I would have the issue. I set it back down to 1 and now it works fine.

Comment

• Zoë
              Team Scooter
              • Oct 2007

Sounds like it might have been trying to display two authentication dialogs at once and it was running into problems. If you save the password as part of the profile so it can connect automatically it should work with multiple connections.
              Zoë P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
                Fanatic
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Zoë
                Sounds like it might have been trying to display two authentication dialogs at once and it was running into problems. If you save the password as part of the profile so it can connect automatically it should work with multiple connections.
                Sorry to say that is not the case. I always check the save password box.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Right, but if you go to the Beyond Compare menu -> Profiles dialog, select your profile, is the correct password already saved here with Save Password enabled?

The Save Password checkbox is also present when initially connecting as a pop-up, but for Zoe's suggestion it needs to be pre-saved in the Profile dialog.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
                    Fanatic
                    • Apr 2008

When I followed your instruction to check the save password box, it was already checked.

Comment

• Aaron
                      Team Scooter
                      • Oct 2007

Are you able to set your log to auto-save in the Beyond Compare menu -> Preferences, Tweaks section, then scroll down to Log panel. Then generate two different log files. A successful connection with 1 connection, and a log with multiple connections that leads up to the crash. Please generate both one after the other without altering any other settings in between, so we can try to compare how the logs differ.

If you can email into [email protected] with these two logs and a link back to this forum thread, that would be helpful. Please also include your current BCSupport.zip from the Help menu -> Support dialog; Export.
                      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
                        Fanatic
                        • Apr 2008

Sent.

Comment

• Aaron
                          Team Scooter
                          • Oct 2007

Thanks. Going through your log it was difficult to see, but there's a message in there that the max user connections were hit (3). This would create an additional dialog pop-up even if you had Save Password enabled. In this scenario, is there a dialog below the main window?

The solution should be to use 3 maximum connections for that FTP site.
                          Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• rothkj1022
                            Fanatic
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aaron
                            Thanks. Going through your log it was difficult to see, but there's a message in there that the max user connections were hit (3). This would create an additional dialog pop-up even if you had Save Password enabled. In this scenario, is there a dialog below the main window?

The solution should be to use 3 maximum connections for that FTP site.
                            I close all of my other applications and moved the window, and there was no dialog hiding. I'll set my max connections to 3 as a workaround. Thanks,

Kevin

Comment

Working...