Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ClearCase and 3 way merge/compare

Three way merge will be in Beyond Compare version 3. We hope to have version 3 out sometime later this year.
    Chris K Scooter Software

Hi Chris,

Why stop at 3-way merge? How about N-way ??

I have used a n-way merge tool (which never became a product, as far as I know), and it is marvelous for understanding what happened to a module with a long history of changes.

1. With ClearCase, one could keep traversing the version tree, and select items for the comparison.

2. The window had a single source viewing pane with numbered lines, and an n-way single character column on the left indicating whether the source had been altered at that level.

3. Click on those columns, and the source view changes (quickly), to show you what lines are modified, deleted, introduced at that level.

4. A selective code merger, like the one that BC uses, allows one to restore or delete lines from the current version, using historical versions.

It was used like this ... we know that a particular feature was working at some level of the code, but suddenly stopped working. By visually inspecting the changes to the suspect modules, it was very easy to see where a bug was introduced, and intelligently restore the working lines of code.

So it's not exactly an n-way merge, more like an n-way code inspection, but extremely useful. I miss it.

N-Way does sound useful. My guess is that we'll just work on good 3-way merge for version 3.0, but N-Way is something we'll consider for after that.
    Chris K Scooter Software

I hate to bring it up again, but here is another request for a merge utility. I've been using Subversion with TortoiseSVN and their diff/merge utility is quite clunky. I've replaced the diff utility with BC, but I have to just deal with the merge.
    Our dev team is in exactly the same situtation. I'd be very happy to buy BC if it had 3-way merge, but it's hard to justify buying it as a diff-tool only (as great as it is!) when I still need to get some other product for the merge. Version 3 seems to have been in development for over a year now. Could you tell me honestly: is it actually still being worked on or should I stop waiting for it and just go buy something else?

I use ClearCase, and have replaced the builtin diff tool with BC, because the builtin is a piece of crap by comparison. I would love to have a three way merge from BC, because ClearCase's builtin for that is an even worse piece of crap. In the meantime, I handle manual merges by by running two copies of BC and flipping back and forth with frequent saves - not ideal, but still better than the built in tool. My company bought a site license, at least in part because BC is such an improvement over the ClearCase tool at such a great price (that and all the other ways it saves us time and aggravation worked out to an ROI of about a month).

Our developers are still working hard on version 3. The combination of many new features, along with limited development resources (we have 5 full time employees) means that it is taking some time to get version 3 ready.

Our goal right now is to have a public beta towards the end of this year, with an official release in early 2007.

If you would like to be notified as soon as we begin testing, send an email to support@scootersoftware.com and we'll add you to our list.
    Chris K Scooter Software

I'll throw a vote in too... using SVN and Tortoise and would love to ditch the merge tool.

Any updates/estimates on version 3? We also would love to see 3-way merge using Surround SCM. We love the diff features, though!

A public beta of Beyond Compare 3 is probably a few months away.
    Chris K Scooter Software