Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks Aaron,

Just for info: Isn't it possible to automate the GUI settings programatically using QTP. I mean setting up the Grammer and file format. If not is there a specific reasons. Beyond Compare is built on Delphi and i have tried to use the Delphi addin but it doesn't identify the objects properly. Is there a specific reason why it doesn't identify the objects using QTP?

Hello,

No specific reason, but I do not believe we've tested against QTP. Grammars and File Formats are normally items you would set up once, then configure different sessions to use them. Do you have a couple variants you would need to toggle between? Or would a specific file mask work for the File Format file mask? Most default File Formats use a *.extension format, but this is expandable to match on more specific file names.

For full on the fly editing, I would usually recommend a Portable Install (which contains all BC Setting.xmls within it as a single directory). You can then use script to edit the XML directly to update settings, and then make a call to BC Scripting.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Hello Aaron,

The issue we are facing with this approach is that we have 2 folders- Which contains 1000s of reports that we are comparing against. So there are specific things that we may want to ignore in differet reports. So if we are setting up a set of regular expressions in one default session and invoke that everytime it might not ignore report specific things. On the other hand if we prepare Report specific default sessions with regular expression then we may need 1000s of default sessions which is not a feasable option in any case.

So i was hoping if you could suggest some ideas as to how to handle this situation?

Hello,

In this scenario, how much overlap would exist? If you have all of the different, specific grammars in one default format and session settings, would opening any one report then compare correctly? Or would some grammars need to be disabled for certain or most reports?

If you need to swap definitions on the fly, altering the .xml's directly with another scripting language previous to calling BC is probably the best solution. If you were using a graphical automation tool, the definitions would all have to exist, so you would have a 'master' .xml that already contains all definitions. In this scenario, you could comment out or generate the same .xml.
    Aaron P Scooter Software