X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianlmerritt
    Visitor
    • Jul 2015

SFTP with Private Key - Access to /var/www directories

I managed to get private keys working well from a Windows desktop to a Linux server, but the login just takes me to the home directory. If I go to sftp://username@hostname/var/www then Beyond Compare creates /var/www in my home directory, not to the root /var/www directory

I created a link from /var/www to ~/varwww but Beyond Compare treats the link as a file (whether I use -s or -n -s options)

Any SFTP program I use such as FileZilla and WinSCP allow me to change from home directory to /var/www.

Is there a way to do this with Beyond Compare? Please do not suggest I login with Root as company policy has disabled all Root access.

Thanks if you can help or point me to a previous solution that I missed!
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

When creating the Profile, you would use the base address without subfolder information. When connecting at the base, this takes you to home, correct? If so, any subfolder information passed would append on to this location. What is the full folder path syntax you use for Filezilla, starting with sftp://user@host/var/www? We should be able to use the same syntax string pasted into our base folder path to connect to the same location.

If using symlinks, you would need to enable the Session menu -> Session Settings, Handling tab option to Follow Symbolic links. If Filezilla can directly connect, however, I do not think this step will be necessary. We just need to configure BC3's profile to match the same connection information that Filezilla uses.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Aaron
      Team Scooter
      • Oct 2007

How does sftp://user@server//var/www/ work for you?

A single slash is at the initial directory level and indicates a subfolder:
      ftp://server/subfolder
      while two slashes will start at the root:
      ftp://server//rootfolder
      Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• brianlmerritt
        Visitor
        • Jul 2015

Thanks

Symlinks works, and I have found so does browse folders using profile (lets me go back to root and on to /var/www

I haven't found a configuration that takes me straight to nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn//var/www as putting that in seems to conflict with the (non-standard) port number. I will try a few more combinations and see if that works.

Originally posted by Aaron
        Hello,

When creating the Profile, you would use the base address without subfolder information. When connecting at the base, this takes you to home, correct? If so, any subfolder information passed would append on to this location. What is the full folder path syntax you use for Filezilla, starting with sftp://user@host/var/www? We should be able to use the same syntax string pasted into our base folder path to connect to the same location.

If using symlinks, you would need to enable the Session menu -> Session Settings, Handling tab option to Follow Symbolic links. If Filezilla can directly connect, however, I do not think this step will be necessary. We just need to configure BC3's profile to match the same connection information that Filezilla uses.

Comment

• brianlmerritt
          Visitor
          • Jul 2015

Filezilla and WinSCP just remember the last directory I used, which normally equates to /var/www

Thanks for trying further, but your previous answer was good enough!! Many thanks

Comment

Working...