X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Volks
    Visitor
    • Mar 2015

Can't edit file in hex view?

Is editing files in hex mode not supported or is it disabled by chance?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Editing in the Hex Compare is something we added with Beyond Compare 4. You would need to upgrade, applying your current BC3 as a potential discount:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/shop....=upgradepolicy

You can try the trial first to make sure we meet your needs, which on Windows can be installed without removing BC3:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/download.php
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Volks
      Visitor
      • Mar 2015

Tried BC4 Hex Compare, it says "Editing Disabled" at the bottom of window. How do I enable?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Is there an error in the top near the path? Are you launching from Version Control? A full screen screenshot might help. Or also test by copying a simple file to your Desktop (such as test.txt) then launch BC4, open a blank Hex Compare and then drag and drop your test.txt into the Hex Compare. Does this also have editing disabled?
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Volks
          Visitor
          • Mar 2015

files i am comparing are .img files. they aren't really full disk images, just a few sectors I backed up trying a custom made tool that backs up disk sectors to a file. I chose .img as the file extensions for these files as it seemed the most suitable. Changing the file extension to something like .txt allows me to edit them but I fail to see why BC would handle file extensions differently when doing a hex comparison; In the end it's all just bytes, no matter what file extension it is. Wish I had started a new thread in the BC4 section about this problem, oh well.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Thanks for the report. This appears to be a bug in our handling of certain archives in the Hex Compare. We'll get this fixed in the next BC4 release.
            Last edited by Aaron; 24-Jul-2015, 04:33 PM.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• TSO_MB
              Visitor
              • Aug 2013

Hello Scooter Software-Team,

I also just learned, that I’m not able to properly edit a file in the hex-details bar of BC. While looking for a solution I found this thread here. Surely it is a little older, but since my problem seems to match the issue here, I decided just to reply.

In order to have the latest bug-fixes for BC4, I just updated it to the latest build version. Unfortunately, I’m still not able to enter hex codes directly using the hex-detail bar. Is there any other possibility to enter hex codes directly using BC?

I hope, you can help.

Cheers,
              Marc

Comment

• Aaron
                Team Scooter
                • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks, although this is not directly related. Editing is supported in the Hex Compare session type, but not supported in the Text Compare's Hex details line. Adding support for editing in the Text Compare's Hex details line is something on our wishlist. In order to edit, you would need to use the Session menu -> Compare Files With -> Hex Compare, and edit within the main session type.
                Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• TSO_MB
                  Visitor
                  • Aug 2013

Hello Aaron,

Thanks for your help. I just tested your method and it works. To add a line break in that mode is a little hard though. But this is a good workaround anyway.

It's also great to know the other way is already on your wishlist.

Have a nice day.

Cheers,
                  Marc

Comment

Working...