Default Feature request: one-to-many copy option

Hi
    I am currently involved in a small programming project which involves builds for several platforms, windows 32 and 64 bit, mac and some variants (demos etc).

Everytime we make a change in a shared file, e.g. the manual or release notes, macros, plugins etc we have to copy those files one by one to each of the distribution folders.

I would like a function where you can select files to be copied to many locations at once. I would probably involve some kind of initial setup (recording) of the destination folders. Once done it should be possible to copy selected files and/or folders to a destination-set. Options could be overwrite-always, overwrite-never, overwrite-newer, overwrite-older, and overwrite-promt-all

For my particular project I can live with having to repeat each copy eight times for every change, but I could imagine it could be a massive time saver for others.

Best wishes

Claus

Hello,

Are the locations the same each time? Could you use a criteria to select the files that need to be copied (left.newer.files left.orphan.files)? If so, we could use a script to load each locations sequentially, scan for changes, then perform the copy? Another method would be to save 8 tabs, each pointing from the Source to Destination 1,2,3,etc, then save this configuration as a Workspace. You could then click through each tab and perform a sync to bring any changes over. This requires 8 clicks, which isn't quite as automated a method, but would it work for this type of sync?
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Yes, in my particular case the destination would be the same every time and always newer than the file on the destination (always-overwrite would also work since the destination would always contain an older version than the one I am updating).
    I am embarrassed to admit it but I never used scripts in BC. How would a simple script that copies selected files to the fixed locations look like?

Your second option is pretty much what I do now, exept that I move to the base ('Set as base') of each distrubution each time I copy ;-)

In the long run, I could imagine programmers maintaining several distributions with some common files in all could benefit from a more generic version of such a function.