X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaister
    Enthusiast
    • Feb 2008

Errors to console when used on KDE 5

If Beyond Compare is used on KDE 5, the following error is printed to stderr:
    Code:
    /opt/beyondcompare/lib//kde_context_menu: line 160: /home/xxxxxx/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/beyondcompare_selectfile.desktop: No such file or directory
    /opt/beyondcompare/lib//kde_context_menu: line 177: /home/xxxxxx/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/beyondcompare_selectdir.desktop: No such file or directory
    This happens because the script /opt/beyondcompare/lib/kde_context_menu.sh tests for KDE 4, and if the KDE version is not 4, is assumes the only alternative is 3. If fixed this by changing line 65 from
    Code:
    if [ "$KDE_SESSION_VERSION" = "4" ]; then
    to
    Code:
    if [ "$KDE_SESSION_VERSION" -ge "4" ]; then
    as KDE 5 still uses a lot of KDE 4 applications, so this should work. At least it works better than assuming KDE 3.

Maybe the script can be adapted to more modern desktop environments for BC 4.1.
    Last edited by Zaister; 17-Jun-2015, 07:38 AM.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks for the report and code submission. We have had trouble keeping up with the various Linux context updates on different distros and configurations. In response, we've created a GitHub page for submissions:
    https://github.com/ScooterSoftware/BCompare-LinuxMenus

With our KB article here:
    http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...nuxcontextmenu
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zaister
      Enthusiast
      • Feb 2008

Hm, the stuff in the repository doesn't look like it has anything to do with the /opt/beyondcompare/lib/kde_context_menu.sh script. Or am I missing something?

Comment

• Aaron
        Team Scooter
        • Oct 2007

Hello,

Thanks. I checked with our Linux developer and the file you are editing is an older file included for legacy support. I would suggest reverting those changes, and then follow the steps in the linked KB article to add the new context menu support:
        http://www.scootersoftware.com/suppo...nuxcontextmenu

At this point, if it isn't working, then it would use the files in GitHub.
        Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zaister
          Enthusiast
          • Feb 2008

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. I don't have a problem with the context menus. I only wanted to point out that the script, which is executed every time I run bcompare, generates these error messages, because the KDE version test is outdated. The fix simply gets rid of the error messages. It is not a fuctional problem.

Comment

• Aaron
            Team Scooter
            • Oct 2007

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I've setup a test environment running KDE5 in OpenSuse13.2 and reproduced the issue. We'll look into this.
            Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zaister
              Enthusiast
              • Feb 2008

After installing BC 4.1.1, I am now getting these errors again, although I have updated my install script to change the KDE version detection as listed above. The is due to the fact that KDE applications such as Dophin that use these service menus have now been ported over to the KDE Frameworks 5 architecture as of KDE application version 15.08.0.

This means that a test for a $KDE_SESSION_VERSION version greater than or equal 4 is no longer correct for KDE 5. KDE Versions 4 and 5 must now be handled separately, and in case of KDE 5, I am thinking, the service menus files should be installed into the directory /usr/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus/.

Comment

• Zaister
                Enthusiast
                • Feb 2008

I noticed that bcompare.sh also has a KDE version test that tests for "not equal to 4" and then assumes it runs on KDE 3.5 and creates some directories and files that have no business being created on a KDE 5 system.

Comment

• Aaron
                  Team Scooter
                  • Oct 2007

Hello,

We'll look into the 'not equal KDE4' code to clean that up. For some of the other suggestions, would you be able to submit them as changes to GitHub: https://github.com/ScooterSoftware/BCompare-LinuxMenus

We have limited resources, and our Linux developer would be very grateful for the help or any head start specifics you could provide.
                  Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• Zaister
                    Enthusiast
                    • Feb 2008

I will see if I can work out somethink to adapt better to KDE 5.

Comment

• rku
                      New User
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Aaron
                      Hello,

We'll look into the 'not equal KDE4' code to clean that up. For some of the other suggestions, would you be able to submit them as changes to GitHub: https://github.com/ScooterSoftware/BCompare-LinuxMenus

We have limited resources, and our Linux developer would be very grateful for the help or any head start specifics you could provide.
                      bcompare_ext_kde.desktop should go to /usr/share/kservices5
                      bcompare_ext_kde.so should go to /usr/lib/qt/plugins

Moving first file shows bcompare service menus in dolphin configs. Moving second file makes dolphin stop showing errors about missing bcompare_ext_kde lib. Sadly context menus do not appear in dolphin still.

Comment

• Chris
                        Team Scooter
                        • Oct 2007

KDE5 context menu support is fixed in Beyond Compare 4.2.5.
                        Chris K Scooter Software

Comment

Working...