Is it possible to script an action that uses a Dropbox profile?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waldrons
    Visitor
    • Jan 2015

Is it possible to script an action that uses a Dropbox profile?

I would like to write a simple script to copy new/changed files from Dropbox to my home backup drive. While I'm working on developing the script, I find that I have to manually link my Dropbox account to Beyond Compare each time. Is this because I'm on a trial version? If not, is there a way to script/automate this? Thanks in advance.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Yes, this can be done in script.

I would suggest setting up your sync in the graphical interface first. Because Beyond Compare does not support an Undo, and script would not preview any information before acting, it would be good to test the sync with test files using the GUI until you are comfortable with how it will run. Load a Folder Compare session (not Sync), load your locations using the Browse button dropdown: Browse using Profile (which can be a Dropbox profile), and then use the Actions menu -> Synchronize Update Left to Right to copy Newer and Orphan files from Left to Right.

You can customize the filters and comparison criteria and save this as a Session. Scripting can then either load the session and all of it's settings, or you can copy/paste the base folder path text from the interface into a script:
    Code:
    load "session name"
    or
    Code:
    load "c:\temp\" "profile:Dropbox profile name"
    so an example would be:
    Code:
    log verbose "c:\logs\bclog.txt"
    load "c:\temp\" "profile:Dropbox profile name"
    sync update:left->right
    Scripting documentation is found in the Help file, in Using Beyond Compare -> Scripting chapter.

Let us know if you have any questions
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...