X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcnewbie
    New User
    • May 2015

How do you do a "data compare" in BC4 ?

I'm new to Beyond Compare. I'm trying to compare 2 .txt files that mostly have the same content, but have some differences. For example line "oranges are blue" is on line #1 of one file, and line #20 of the other file. (There are many other differences similar to this among the files.) Currently some lines match up , but others(that I expect should) don't).

I found this post http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbull...-Line-Ordering
    (It seems to be similar to the problem I’m facing. But I don’t know where/how to use the functionality they are mentioning (from previous versions of beyond compare ) in BC4. For example one person suggests using a “data compare” – how do I use that functionality/what does it do in BC4?

If possible I would like to avoid sorting like another post suggests. Can someone tell me where I can find out more about "Data Compare" in Beyond Compare 4?
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

The Data Compare was renamed to the Table Compare in BC4. If your files have Rows and Columns, and can be sorted by a Key Column, this would work for your example.

Otherwise, the Text Compare does have a "Sorted" format, which you can access from the Format toolbar button dropdown, or in the Session Settings dialog, Format tab: override Detected to Sorted. This would alphabetically sort your entire file; note that if you save the file it would save in the new order, so Disable Editing if this shouldn't be allowed.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

Working...