Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TiggerGTO
    Visitor
    • May 2013

On Mac, using Finder Services menu to do BC compares starts up BC in Parallels

I am running on a Mac with Yosemite. I also have Parallels to run some Windows software that I still need. I have BC installed on both OS X and on Windows. I was using the Windows version before the OS X version came out.

If I use the Finder Services -> "Select Left File For Compare" it seems that this sends the request to the BC on Windows rather than on OS X. If the Parallels VM is not running, it will cause it to start up. This is pretty annoying. Is there something I can do to ensure that this Finder context menu item will interact with OS X BC rather than the Windows BC on Parallels? I'm pretty sure it hasn't always worked this way, but I don't know what might have caused the behavior to change.
  • Aaron
    Team Scooter
    • Oct 2007

Hello,

In the Windows version, boot up and go to the Tools menu -> Options, Startup section, and disable "Include Beyond Compare in Explorer context menu". You can then repeat for the OSX version to make sure that option is enabled, then restart (Parallels or your computer) to make sure the change is applied. Does this get it working as you expect?

While unlikely, you may need to disable the Windows option and disable the OSX option, restart, then re-enable the OSX option and restart to make sure it 'grabs' priority properly.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

Comment

• TiggerGTO
      Visitor
      • May 2013

Thanks. Disabling "Include Beyond Compare In Explorer context menu" was sufficient. I didn't have to do any restarts of Parallels or my computer. It seems weird that the OS X Finder service would default the action to the Windows version in Parallels. Maybe something that Parallels is doing in their integration is being overly aggressive and trying to capture more UI actions than it should.

Comment

Working...