Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 19761 PDF conversion error

I have PDFs which are fine in Acrobat X, Win7 Explorer preview and https://www.pdf-online.com/osa/validate.aspx , but of which BC says Conversion Error. It would be nice for this to be fixed.

Sample mailed to support@scootersoftware.com .

Please email in sample PDFs to support@scootersoftware.com with a link back to this forum thread for our reference so we can verify what we're having trouble with.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

I did - at the time of posting 3 hours ago. Please tell me if you didn't receive.

Thanks. We did get it. This is an example of no actual text data. It's a picture of text, which we cannot convert. You can verify this by using the Adobe File menu -> Save As Text option, which also generates a blank file. Since a blank file can be actually blank or caused by a conversion error, we default to reporting as a conversion error.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

> Since a blank file can be actually blank or caused by a conversion error, we default to reporting as a conversion error.

Please pass on my request this be fixed. Just as BC can compare a TXT file containing no text, it should be able to compare a PDF file containing no text.

Unfortunately, not. The issue is that BC3/4 use 3rd party conversion utilities, and users can also put in their own utilities. Some of these utilities, outside of our control, can error out. When they do, they can create empty files as the output. There is no way to know if the conversion program generated an empty file on purpose or through error.

BC2 would always compare the output, and this lead to false comparisons showing equal when the conversion failed. This was fixed in BC3 and not a change we'll roll back.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

To expand on what Aaron posted a bit, in regards specifically to PDFs, I'd argue that a PDF with just images of text is much more common than completely blank PDFs. It's definitely unfortunate that we can't compare the images, but I think for a less technical user, treating it as a conversion error is more useful and less error prone than silently treating it as empty.
    ZoŽ P Scooter Software

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The issue is that BC3/4 use 3rd party conversion utilities, and users can also put in their own utilities. Some of these utilities, outside of our control, can error out.
    I'm using regular OOTB BC. If that's out of your control, then I think you should get it back in your control and fix this error.

treating it as a conversion error is more useful and less error prone than silently treating it as empty.
    No-one is suggesting silently treating it as empty. On the contrary, part of the current problem is that BC is being silent about the fact that it is empty. It is instead falsely reporting a conversion error instead.

treating it as a conversion error is more useful
    Telling the truth would be more useful.

There is currently no method to differentiate between a converted blank file and a converted blank file generated in error by a conversion program. If such support is added to the conversion utility, we'll look into reporting between the two states. As is, we need to assume either blank state is an error to prevent false equivalency.
    Aaron P Scooter Software

There is currently no method to differentiate between a converted blank file and a converted blank file generated in error by a conversion program.
    Uh, what "conversion program"?? I'm using BC.

If I wanted to use a manky converter that doesn't properly report errors, I would. I don't.